Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is "active desktop mover" legitimate?

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I finally turned on a computer that had been off for almost a month and the first thing I did was to run Windows update (and NIS update of course). The Windows update required a restart and immediately after starting up again I got a warning from WinPatrol that "active desktop mover" activeX (in shell32.dll) is trying to make system changes (I believe in IE8, but am not certain).

I tried looking online but can't find much about the active desktop mover. On one message board it is labeled in passing as malware (though not by a high-ranking member), but it shows up many times in people's HiJackThis logs and no one ever singles it out as bad. In addition the file is signed by Microsoft.

This activeX does not show up either in my IE8 manage add-ons window nor in my HiJackThis logs, but I can see it in WinPatrol under ActiveX.

Does anyone know anything about this file?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements