Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web design service

• Please log in to reply

mtscales

mtscales

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Just signed up to the forum. I'm thinking of starting up a web design service. I've got the name registered and some space + a knowledge of html and static web page design.

I'm currently learning php and mysql that I have on my apache localhost.

The ethos of my web design service would be cheap, well made/designed websites. These would be static initially, with a view to adding ecommerce and application functionality to the service somewhere along the line.

Does anybody out there have any experience of web design?

I can design websites, but I'm a little bit stumped as to how I would provide the service to any clients.

Ideally, I would like the whole process to be conducted remotely, over the phone and online... Are there any web design companies that have this sort of workflow already?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------

The scales read 0 - they are mt

Advertisements

roland

roland

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi MT,

Sure - you can do this remotely, although I have found that many clients like face-to-face meetings to discuss their business with you before designing a site.

I have been offering web hosting and design services for a few years now and about half my clients I never meet. I just conduct email and phone meetings to discuss the site and its design.

My work and web design guidelines and resources are on my site: www.kirkor.com.

I have found a niche of clients who do not require hi-tech data driven sites but instead like a clean and custom interface.

Have fun and feel free to contact me if you require additional info or guidance.

- Roland

mtscales

mtscales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
cheers roland - nice 2 no it can be done...

meeeeeeeeee

meeeeeeeeee

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I would suggest contacting small business owners in your local area. Just walk in, introduce yourself & your services. Bring print-outs of your sample sites in case they don't have web access there.

You can also look here for some other advertising ideas.

Good luck!!

:tazz:

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Everybody seems to be right, I've set up a web design company in the past, I am not part of it, but everybody wanted to meet you and discuss there points. It's not a simple process of setting up a website - especially for businesses.

They want to meet you make sure you know your stuff and then lay down the brief to you. Face to face is a type of marketing you just can't beat I'm afraid.

Cheers

Spike
Sales and Marketing Manager! (Just to validate my points a little more!)