Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 and vista dual booted

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i have done it and quite lost if i need to install drivers again... help..
sorry for stupid question..

thnx
reload

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Not so much as being a stupid question more than not actually being a question... :)

What's the issue you are having? or need help with?

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
srry hehe...
i dual booted.. then..... you know when you first install OS, you put the drivers CD to install the drivers into the OS.. It already had its drivers installed so.. would I need to install the drivers again in the same way to the new OS(win 7)..
One more question.. Can i run programs that were in Vista from Win7?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I see now :)

Windows 7 is very good at picking up good drivers for you to use. Most of them will be up to date but some may not be. I would look for crucial updates such as drviers for your graphics card and motherboard.

You can do this by going Start > Control Panel > Device Manager.

From there look at your Display Adapter and note the model number. Then go to the manufacturers site and dowload the latest release.
Also look through the list for anything with a yellow ! next to it.

As for compatibility, most programs that run in Vista will run in 7.
If for example the program crashes or doesn't work then:
  • Right click the desktop Icon
  • Click properties
  • Click the compatibility tab
  • Check the Box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
  • Select Vista from the drop down list
  • Click Apply

You can also do this for later releases such as XP through to 95. If one doesn't work try the next.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
oh so i dont have to install it on Win 7.. From win 7 i can just go in vista program files and open the program through there?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

oh so i dont have to install it on Win 7.. From win 7 i can just go in vista program files and open the program through there?

I think you have maybe miss-understood me along the way.

When you duel boot, Windows 7 will have no knowledge that the Vista install exists. Therefore you won't be able to go into the Vista program files.
Even though the drivers are installed on the Vista install they won't be found/recognised by the Windows 7 install.
What I meant in my reply was that you don't necessarily have to install the drivers because Windows 7 will pick them up by its self.
It won't find them from your Vista install, instead it will get them from the Microsoft Windows updates site when you first turn on the machine.

So basically if Windows 7 couldn't find a driver you would still need to install it even though its on the Vista install to.

Sorry for confusing you there. Its difficult to explain without using certain words that might confuse you even further. If you still don't understand me then please say and I will try again :)

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
aah just as I thought, sorry my english is poor hehe...
thank you for help :)
:)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Great nice to see the problem is solved :)

If you need anymore help with THIS issue then please post back. If not then enjoy the forum

:)

Other users should make a new topic with their own problem. Please don't post to other's threads with your issue