Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

delaorden

delaorden

• Pip
  • 6 posts

One more question... Since the power supply was mentioned as an issue, is there any possibility that a dirty power source between the house's circuit panel and the computer's power supply could be causing these crashes? I don't know how to test that though.

Would it be useful to post all your hardware configuration here including your power supply capacity. BSOD's may be either a system or a hardware problem. Please check your hardaware drivers (very important). In my own personal experience, I had some BSOD's some time ago, apparently without any cause. Then I noticed that my power supply was too weak to support my VGA, memo, fans and etc... I bought a new one much more powerful. Since then I only have BSOD's caused by drivers conflicts, you know ?:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A good way to determine your PSU wattage requirements as a base line is to use a PSU Calculator located at the NewEgg

ejf

ejf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
rerunning seatools from a bootable CD now. Will run sfc when it finishes up (assuming no errors).

The computer is an:
Athlon 64 x2 6k
2x 1GB DDR2 800 (dual channel)
Gigabyte GA-M52S-S3P
Geforce 8600GT video card
seagate 320GB HD
LG CD/DVD
400W Absolute Super Power power supply.

The computer ran great on this config for about 18 months. I have not changed any hardware since I first turned it on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

400W Absolute Super Power power supply.

Try the PSU Calculator and make sure you have enough wattage available.
IMHO Absolute is not a very dependable PSU and some may not agree with me but I have seen several of these fail in less then 2 years.

ejf

ejf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Calculator comes up with 326W needed for my configuration, so theoretically I should be good. But, a couple upgrades will put me over 400. If no problems are found in my current hardware, I may just push up my upgrade plans and toss in a power supply. I hate to swing in the dark at a problem, but it'll eliminate some possibilities.

delaorden

delaorden

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ejf, nothing last forever. 18 months is quite a good time. It doens't mean that your hardware is in trouble but I would bet that your power supply is sort of generic (I don't know, I didn't find this mark on Google) as it is mine, and that means that the REAL supply would be about 300w or even less. You got a quite powerful rig. AMD processors do consume more energy and your Gforce is quite greedy too. Well, if nothing really works after all solutions and tips here, I would test another power supply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand the swinging in the dark and you can always keep the 400 for a backup in case.
I personally would suggest a Corsair 500 watt 80 plus PSU like this one HERE
Stable 12 volt rail and energy savings at the same time.

ejf

ejf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Seatools from boot showed no issues on the long test.

ejf

ejf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sfc flashes a dos console that immediately disappears.

And that corsair PSU doesn't even have blue lights, so it can't be any good :)

Edited by ejf, 31 October 2009 - 10:18 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Blue lights as in lED's?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Everest from my links below. Run the program and click Computer and then click Sensor. Please report temperatures and voltages registered in your system.

A marginally faulty PSU can easily cause the problems in your computer. Replacing it may be a necessary trial-and-error step in pin-pointing the problem, and the cheapest too. By the way, I guess that where I live over 90% of sold PSUs are made-in-china generic parts. In my experience they are as good as more expensive brand name units. Buy one of those with the larger (12 cm) bottom located fan. They are much more quiet and only slightly more expensive. Buy a 500W unit to have some power reserve. Please note that the nominal output is usually for peak operation. A 400W PSU will not last long and may be unstable if demand is constantly close to the rated output.

ejf

ejf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The system had been at idle for some time in BSOD mode while I was out with my son trick-or-treating. I'll probably go a bit overboard and look into a 6-700 watt supply, just to be sure.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer ANONYMOUS
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-10-31
Time 22:37

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 31 °C (88 °F)
Aux 33 °C (91 °F)
GPU 44 °C (111 °F)
Seagate ST3320620AS 28 °C (82 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 6553 RPM
Chassis 6081 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.41 V
+2.5 V 1.90 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 5.19 V
+12 V 12.29 V
+5 V Standby 5.00 V
VBAT Battery 3.09 V
Debug Info F 67 6F 00
Debug Info T 33 37 31
Debug Info V 58 77 CF C1 C0 C7 06 (77)

Edited by ejf, 31 October 2009 - 08:50 PM.

ejf

ejf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The new PSU seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks all for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)