Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate 2tb ate my internal HD

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Need some insight. I own a Gateway FX laptop,i decided to bring to the desert with me on my deployment. I bought a seagate 2tb external hard drive, then after recieving it in the mail, I find out that the software couldn't be installed on my 64-bit system. Well I thought, not a big deal, b/c it still showed up in my computer, and allowed me to transfer files onto it. So I got a hold of my friends 1tb external, and transfered all his tv shows to mine. I didn't have much time to use it over here, but when i went home on R&R leave I decided to load my movies and shows from my desktop on it. The day before i leave to come back to the desert, I had it hooked up to my laptop, and i was ripping some of my anime so i could store it and bring it back with me. Out of no where, i get the blue screen of death, with irql not less or equal error. My system reboots, and next thing i know it goes from me being able to do 10 things at once, to not wanting to even open a single program. I open my diagnostics and see that its constantly spiking to 100%, and normally it doesn't jump above 33%. I took it to geek squad at best buy since i have the extra warrenty. I knew I had to leave the next day so I picked up an acer so I would have something to use when I got back to Iraq. I talked to my mother, and geek squad said that my gateway fx laptop hard drive was failing. The seagate works fine on my 32-bit system acer though. does anyone have any insight on this? i've been looking around on the web and haven't found much. can i only safely use it on a 32-bit system? thanks and greatly appreciated.

Edited by vittorio, 30 October 2009 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's more likely that if the internal drive on the laptop is actually failing (which i take anything geek squad says with a grain of salt...) that it's coincidental and not related to the external drive...

gateway has a history of using less than stellar equipment (people say they're getting better...but i still have my doubts)