Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tech will get a email saying there is a response to a topic they have subscribed to. It will depend on how often a Tech checks his or her's email to see there is a response.
I'm online most of the time so I don't worry about emails.
Real life also plays a role in them responding to you.
Was the other system in this topic or a different topic? It has been a long topic so I'm not sure where we were.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Let me look and see if I can locate the post, yeah, been a long time for me too !!!

Oh my, is there an easier way of finding that topic. I think the heading said some thing like "CAN'T DOWNLOAD MEDIA". I'm not real sure thought.

Can't I just do a SEARCH for Christopher's name and hope for the best???

Edited by simplee55, 09 November 2009 - 04:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to the members list and see if you can find him.
If not doing a search for the topic should bring up lots of results. It will take some time but eventually you can find it.
Once you do just post the link and we can look at it again.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

You are NOT going to believe what just happened. I sent Azral a mail telling him about this problem I was having with trying to use the Windows Updates right, so he REPLIED with the information of what we would do to fix the problem.

In his instructions he told me before I download and install this particular PROGRAM, I need to DISABLE my Antivirus and any SPYware programs in the Systems Tray. So I disabled Ad-aware, but the Avast program I could not find where to DISABLE it so I sent him a SNAPSHOOT of the Avast Menu to see if he could find where I am to disable the program, while waiting for his reply, my thought was this:

I clicked on START, I clicked on RUN, I typed MSCONFIG that took me to the STARTUP menu. I did not see anything in the STARTUP menu that resembled Avast, so I clicked on SERVICES, and there it was Avast, I UNCHECKED the box, clicked OK to close out and I get this box that said that ACCESS was denied because I am not the Administer of this PC. ("Side Note: After the Ownership transfer took place, while speaking to DELL's Customer Service, they informed me the only way to get the pervious owner off of the system as Administer, I would totally have to uninstall XP and reinstall it again, then I could come back as it's Administer"). So even though I could not do what I had attempted to do, I still had to REBOOT the PC.

As soon as the PC loaded and I was back on the Desktop, I get this message from Microsoft stating that a UPDATE was waiting to download, so I click on that little YELLOW sign to start the download and install, and to my amazement and surprise, IE8 was being reinstalled. Man-O-Man, go figure.

Because I only speak with Azral maybe twice a day, and sometimes not even that much, see he's probably offline now because I'm 8 hrs behind him in time, can you please go and look at my POST and see the SNAPSHOT, Post 47 and 48, look at the Menu to see if there is some thing on that menu where I can disable Avast so I can proceed with Azral's instrucitons?

Thank U rshaffer:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Last line in the menu that says stop on access demand or somethign like that.
That will disable Avast while you follow the rest of the instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BTW in case you didn't notice..Azarl is now a full Tech staff.
He has graduated so you now have a great malware staff member assisting you. :) :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
:) :) for AZRAL.

rshaffer,

As we found out, it's been IE8 causing the problems with constant signing in at Yahoo and it was also IE8 that caused the problem with the Win Updates. And since I reinstalled IE8, I have to sign in again on this Website. Because I uninstalled IE8, I couldnt do any UPDATING at all. In fact, Azral is working on that problem for me right now, he, as I, didnt know why I could do NO updating. So what I'm going to do is, post this message to Azrel so he can stop that unnecessary process.

Well I may not be able to use any of the UPDATES, but I'm getting ready to uninstall IE8 again. To bad ...

simplee

Edited by simplee55, 09 November 2009 - 08:32 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I need your help.

Azral wants me to ZIP these files that are too large for UPLOADING, can you walk me thru the ZIP process.

I'm afraid that Azral might be offline until tomorrow. If you can't do it, I can wait until tomorrow, just wanted to get these files to him so we can complete hopefully the final steps to ridding me of these critters.

Thank U !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok to zip just Right click on the file he wants you to upload.
Then click on Add to archive
Then a window will open and in the Archive format area click on ZIP
Now click OK and the file will appear on your Desktop
Do this for each of the files he needs.
Then reply back to him and when you need to attach the files do the Browse and look at your desktop
Click the file and then click on Upload to the right of the Browse button.
Do the steps over to get each file he wants.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Please see a SNAPshoot of one of the Files that I right clicked on. There is no Add to archive on that menu, in fact, there is nothing Archive on the menu.

I think its this website, I could not UPLOAD the SNAPshoot. All the snapshoots that I've sent and uploaded, I dont understand.

what do I do next???

Edited by simplee55, 10 November 2009 - 05:51 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other option is to upload the files to a third party site and reply with a link for him to get them.

If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Yet another is to copy and paste the log like you have done before.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Simplee55

It sounds like you do not have a zip or unzip program on your computer.
While the most common is winzip, I prefer Ultimate Zip.
You want the free one.
It adds "add to archive" to the right click menu if you are trying to zip a file.
It adds a "extract to" to the same right click menu if you have a zip file you want to unzip.

And you are doing great!
There were a lot of malware and virus's on that computer.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Morning Runner:

I just told Azarl what you said, I want to see what he thinks of the Ultmate Zip that you mentioned.

He asked me how large the two (2) files are, and I told him I have no clue.

simplee

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I becoming annoyed again. I got a message from Runner this morning, here's what he said:

"It sounds like you do not have a ZIP or UNZIP program on your computer.
While the most common is winzip, I prefer Ultimate Zip.
You want the free one.
It adds "add to archive" to the right click menu if you are trying to zip a file.
It adds a "extract to" the same right click menu if you have a zip file you want to unzip.

Runner's suggestion sounds GREAT to me rshaffer, I posted my reply to Azral and put in that post what Runner told me, and Azral is totally ignoring that post, he never mentions it.

OK, yesterday, after I asked you how to zip a file, I did what you said, but I didn't know how to do a LINK with those files from MediaFire, so what I did was, I COPIED AND PASTED the results, you know, he doesn't mention the RESULTS to me either.

See, this is why I get mad rshaffer. I don't care what he's doing or not doing, all I'm asking is that he communicate with me about my REPLIES to him. I don't want a blow-by-blow report from him rshaffer, just breifly acknowledge what I've said to you\him, that's all I'm asking. This is why I get confused sometimes he's not telling me anything. :)

Edited by simplee55, 11 November 2009 - 11:35 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
He's asking a legitimate question by needing to know how big the files are.
This way he can determine how to assist you further.
As far as him answering I remember him and you saying there was a 8 hour time difference. Being that the case and he is 8 hours behind you then he is at 1 or 2 in the morning right now and that is why he is not answering you.
I am 2 hours ahead of you so it's 11:42 here right now.