Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

EDIT: Info needed for later
Post 13 has the everest report. Its a Dell, XP home, WD 80gb drive.

I guess that was kind of confusing. rshaffer61 is correct. I just wanted it out there so we knew where to go to get the info if we needed it.

I think we should hang here for a while till we see what the Opera tech comes up with.

123runner

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
GUYS:

I'm back in business. I got Opera to finally open.

Here's what I did, I opened the browser and started looking around the page to see if I could see anything that would help me to get this browser to work. As I'm examining this page, I look down and on the right hand corner of the screen there's this sign called SPEED DIAL, so I clicked and the browser released itself.

Before I did that, I remembered what the Tech from Opera said about Firewalls, so I wanted to see what can I do, if anything, to get this browser unfrozen.

I clicked on Control Panel, and clicked on Win Firewall, then clicked the Exceptions tab, then clicked Add Program tab. I scrolled down the list to see if Opera was there, and I just added the browser in the Exceptions List.

So I uninstalled FF, and there you have it. :)

Edited by simplee55, 18 November 2009 - 10:17 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

These instructions did not work in the Run box. I don't understand something. This morning I COPIED and PASTED these instructions into the Run box, and clicked OK, it took me right to the file. But now, the commands don't work.

2. Go to start...and then run and type in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and hit ok. That will bring you to your FF profiles. You can delete that folder.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be the FireFox files are all gone.
As far as Opera it is great to hear it is now working correctly.
You said this at 3:00pm my time

So I uninstalled FF, and there you have it

then at 10:25pm you stated you couldn't get the command to work. It seems you had already uninstalled Firefox so the files would no longer be there for the command to go to now. :)
This would mean you have successfully fixed your problem :)
How is the browser working now?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
It works great, no problems thus far.

I just have to make sure before I close the browser, that all tabs are closed. Not use to this coming from IE.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great we will wait for a day or two and then please let us know how everything is working. We may be able to call this one resolved then. :) :) :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
OK, I will do that.

Question:

How often should I run the TFC and Defrag Programs.

And until I get use to using Opera, is that TFC program the one that cleans out my Internet Temp files???

You know, I've noticed something strange that's been happening all day today.

You know when you HIGHLIGHT something, will it's like the Highlight is not turning off of something, can't explain it.

:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK, I will do that.

Question:

How often should I run the TFC and Defrag Programs.
This depends on how often you add and remove programs. If not very often then I suggest once a month unless you see slowing online or system seems to slow down a lot.

And until I get use to using Opera, is that TFC program the one that cleans out my Internet Temp files???
This is correct. See you have learned some things through all this :)

You know, I've noticed something strange that's been happening all day today.

You know when you HIGHLIGHT something, will it's like the Highlight is not turning off of something, can't explain it.
Not sure what this is but make sure you click the mouse away from the highlighted area to see if it stops it.

:)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
The information on removing FF came from their site HERE
Their use of some words and terminology is a little mixed up, so you may have removed it in the first step through the add/remove.
It was cleanup anyways and won't hurt.

Great job on all you have done.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Yeah, rshaffer said the exact same thing, that during the uninstall that all traces were probably cleaned up.

So guys where do I stand right now, am I finished here, or is there something else that needs to be done. The browser and system seems to be running GREAT now.

rshaffer explained that as soon as I enlarge my memory to at least 1-g, the slowness will stop. And when I am able financially to do that, I will be back for another go around. :)

Thank U !!!

Edited by simplee55, 19 November 2009 - 09:00 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed 123Runner, Azurl and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer61:

I couldn't have done anything with out YOU, 123RUNNER and AZRAL. Your gentleness, expertise, professionalism, patience and sometimes sternness is just what I needed.

My goodness, I feel like I'm leaving old friends. But you guys, you have been friends to me here on GeeksToGo.

I PROMISE you, I will make a Donation as soon as I can, YOU have my word on that.

Thanks so much !!!

Bye

simplee55 :) :)

P.S. You don't have to answer, I just needed to say that.

Edited by simplee55, 19 November 2009 - 09:29 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the kind words. Getting such kind words is thanks enough and it is the reason we do this for most of us.
Please take advantage of the forums and you could learn a little more and become a GEEK yourself. There are even forums that you can go in to that are just for fun. Others for technology discussions and for just general questions. You are welcome to hang around and enjoy the other forums. :) :) :) :) :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Another satisfied customer. It was long in coming to the end, some are.
As rshaffer61 said, we appreciate all the kind words.
We do this because we enjoy helping others and a "atta boy" really makes us smile.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello rshaffer:

I have a question.

Since you know my system a tad bit, would there be any harm in having more than 2 browsers downloaded on this system??

I've been reading about Google's Chrome browser, and it sounds great. In fact, Azral suggested two browsers I should use, and Chrome was one of them.

Wanted your opinion, that's all. Not saying in the end, that I will download it.

simplee :)