Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

It's taking too long opening up.

Some fixes for the slow opening of OE are as follows...
1. Delete all old mail that you don’t need. Don’t forget to clean Deleted Itemsfolder. I delete all old mail every 3 days, why, because I really don't get a lot of mail.

3. Close and reopen OE. Then go to File -> Folder -> Compact all Folders. ----->This removes any wasted space and frees up disk space. This helped when I did it on my OE. This is the message I get from time to time about OE compacting disk space, and I click OK.

4. Another cause of slow starts is opening OE at its home page, rather than the Inbox. Because that page is an HTML file, it is usually slower to display than is the Inbox. Click Tools| Options and place a check mark for "When starting, go directly to my Inbox folder." I never open my mail through the Browser, always go to the OE icon

5. Leaving the Preview Pane open in combination with opening directly to the Inbox can result in a slower startup. You can turn the Preview Pane off under View| Layout, or add the Preview button to the OE toolbar to toggle the pane on and off with a single click. Well, I leave the PP open when I'm answering any E-mail. I don't close my Inbox just because I'm type a New Message, I never have, with any PC's that I've owned, it has never been an issue.

There are others, but now we get into dealing with MSN messenger, IE problems, and the registry and I will not go there. I don't know how much the previous owner used MSN messenger, but I don't, I just haven't uninstalled it yet.

Next up is about copy and paste and enlarging text....
Simplee555....
Are you trying to do this in Outlook express? This is how I do the copy and paste. Take here for instance. This is a long post, so to answer properly, I will copy and paste the entire text only and drop it into a New Message in OE, read and answer it, then copy and paste it from OE, bring it back here and make the post.

Are you looking to get what you see in preview pane (what displays on your computer) to be a different size? No, my problem is, after I do the copy, paste thing and open a New message window, and drop the material, that's where my problem has been. Let me stop here and explain somethings. "For the most part, when I receive any personal E-mails, the text is too small to read, so I have to copy and paste that text, put it in a New message window, enlarge it just to read it and answer it, if it's necessary to do so. Even after I copy and paste from these message boards, I have to do the same thing, enlarge the text size so I can continue doing what I need to do to see". Once again, with my last PC, I never encountered any problems out of the normal with OE, and I consider this out of the normal.

Are you looking to send your emails with a different size font? In order to see the text, I have to copy and paste that text, and even to answer that E-mail, it's a different text size.

If you are copying from OE and then back in to OE AND trying to change size, I do not believe you can do that. I do not know of any highlighting available either.
You need to explain better about the copy, paste and highlight. You can only do that if you open up a NEW Message window. Meaning, that NEW window is your SEND window and/or message window.

If you what to change the size of the fonts on messages sent and received, then those changes can be made under Tools....Options...the read tab and compose tab. No Runner, you can actually change the TEXT SIZE, COLOR, BOLD and FONT size like you do here, it's right above where I'm typing from, I'm doing here what I do in OE.

When Rshaffer61 asked

Have you cleaned your temp and cache files out lately?

in post 355, you responded with

Oh yes, it makes things a lot faster.

in post 358.
We assumed that this resolved your OE issue because that is where we were troubleshooting at the time. Yes it resolved the problem at that time, that's why nothing more was said about that issue. Now, I have NO idea why it started up again. I don't know if this issue with Text sizing has anything to do with OE opening up too slow or not, it just is. I hope all that I've tried to explain is clear, I can only tell you the way it happens.

Rshaffer61 responded in post 359 with

I believe that until you can increase you total memory you will have to clean the temps and the cache out every couple of days to keep everything running good online. Since that resolved that problem and now you know how to correct it we can concentrate on the other system starting on Saturday.

and nothing else was brought up on the subject. Yes I know, because nothing else needed to be said, "I have to enlarge the memory", plain and simple. And I believe my response to him was, when I can financially, we will do so. It's been a BILL thing here on my end. That's all I do is pay BILLS, and just can't find the extra monies to accommodate at this time.

123runner/simplee

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memory is not really the issue as that has been resolved with the future purchase of more memory.
The issue is as I understand it is that OE is small font or is it in this window?
Let's deal with this problem. Plain and simple..Is it Outlook with the small print or is it looking at it here on GTG?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
I believe part of how she explained it is in OE and I am working on a response as we speak for some of it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
Lets see if I can do this with out it getting to confusing.
You have a few issues that are all bunched together and creating some issues.

I can not explain the slow opening of OE as of yet, so can we leave that go for a while?
What is explained below should resolve a lot of your issues.

As I seem to understand it...??
Issue 1---When you receive an email, The email is too small a font to read?
You do not have a big range of adjustment here, but there is some.
Go to Tools...options....and the read tab
At the bottom is a spot to change the font size. Click on Font.

[attachment=36480:Read_Tab.jpg]

[attachment=36481:Font_Size.jpg]

I believe you are ok with the send side of emails because you mentioned you copy and pasted to a "new message" and changed size and then copied back.

Is the only reason that you are putting the posts into a "new message" so that you can add your response in the "purple" color??

If so, you can copy and paste from 1 post to another post and then add your response and also change color. You should not have to take it to OE and then back to the forum again.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Is the only reason that you are putting the posts into a "new message" so that you can add your response in the "purple" color?? No, not at all, I only take the text and open up a New message if the posts are too long to read and answer. The different colors I use are just my personal preference, to offset my answers from the statements/questions.

Especially when I'm answering a long post. To me, it's like keeping a conversation on going, that's why I answer the way I do sometimes and with the colors. Besides that, I can see much better if it's in color.

Let me say this, my eyesight has changed over the years, I guess because I'm getting older and I'm finding that seeing in color helps my cause, if you understand what I'm saying. With that said, I'm not going blind or any thing, but sometimes, when I have to strain to see, that's where I have problems.

If using colors are too annoying to anyone here, please just say the word, and I will stop, because I can offset my answers in BOLD, like I'm doing now.
:)

Edited by simplee55, 01 December 2009 - 10:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope not a problem for me. I understand the eyesight issue with my health. I can work with it if that is what makes you comfortable.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
I do not mind the colors that you use. It is a unique way that a lot of folks do not use. It makes the answers stand out. And the colors you use are pleasing to the eyes. Not like some that become hard to read.
And as we get older, we need all the help we can get.

And if everything is in caps, then there is no way for stuff to stand out that needs to be made more visible.

I was just trying to get a handle on what is going on to try and make things easier.

Did you change the "read" side of your emails to make them a larger font?

Are you having a problem with the size of the text and fonts standard web pages (which would include this forum)?

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

And if everything is in caps, then there is no way for stuff to stand out that needs to be made more visible. Thank you for that. That's why I put certain words in caps, to make it stand out and to get a point across.

I was just trying to get a handle on what is going on to try and make things easier. That's very nice of you ... thank U.

Did you change the "read" side of your emails to make them a larger font? One of the 1st things I did after receiving this PC was making the necessary changes to OE and that's always one of them, so YES I did.

Are you having a problem with the size of the text and fonts standard web pages (which would include this forum)? No, the print here is just fine, not a problem.

123runner\simplee

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Guys:

I did a full scan of my Ad-aware program and it picked up that darn MyWebSearch again.

At least 3 to 4 times weekly I run AutoRuns, and the REVO program, and since we deleted that thing, it didn't show up.

But now, it shows up.

All week after running the two Programs, Mywebsearch did not appeared on either of these tools, how do I delete it. I don't even know how I picked it up again.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
MyWebSearch should be in the add/remove program area.

It is usually 1 of those programs/toolbars that sneaks in when you install software.
Such as yahoo toolbar will sneak in with a JAVA update if you do not uncheck that portion.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

These are the different things I look at almost on a daily basis:

1. Control Panel
2. My "C" Drive
3. REVO Program
4. AutoRuns
5. Windows Search

It is virtually impossible to look at all of the above and still NOT pick up MyWebSearch, but Ad-Aware did. Some kind of way it got into my system and now my mouse STALLS and then RELEASES, stalls and then releases ....

Also, after I did a Defrag, I noticed that my Free Space went from 59.57-gb to 57.31-gb. It appears that something is pulling my free space down, or is that normal.

And by the way, I never let any TOOLBARS in if I can help it.

Edited by simplee55, 02 December 2009 - 06:04 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Can you tell me the date that Azral finished with me in the Malware forum, I can't find it.

Thank U !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
17th November 2009 - 08:37 AM
Topic located HERE

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Thanks rshaffer :)