Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK suggestions 2 and 3 are highly unlikely since we have changed these anyway.
Firewall issue would only apply if you had changed the settings or a infection caused this.

IV. Your browser is not set to accept cookies. Most browsers have the
option of either accepting all cookies, showing an alert before
accepting a cookie, or not accepting cookies at all. In order to use
Yahoo!'s personalized services, your browser must be set to accept "all
cookies without alerts".

Open IE and at the top of the page click on Tools
Then click on Internet Options
In new window click on Privacy
Under Settings what is the slider set at?

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
It's set at MEDIUM

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I'm going offline for a couple of hours.

I tell you when I'm going offline so you wont keep looking for my post. I don't know how the staff gets their notices, so I thought it would only be right to let you know when I'm not online.

simplee

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

V. Your browser's cookie files might be corrupted. Corrupted cookie
files sometimes stop supporting Yahoo! Mail. Try shutting all of your
browser's windows, and then deleting the cookie files in your browser's
directories. You should delete the cookie files themselves, but you do
not need to delete the folders where they are stored.

Run ATF or TFC which ever one I had you get back when we started.

Also we may need to uninstall your IE and reinstall it if the above doesn't work.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Let's just cut to the chase and totally UNINSTALL IE.

The Yahoo Tech said to do a search for COOKIES which I did, nothing came up in the search window. I left it alone, didn't want to delete something I wasn't suppose to.

I don't know if you remember me stating that went I look for files in the Search window, things come up NOT FOUND and I know that I've seen them in the "C" drive, I have to fiscally go and DELETE them, that's after I've done the uninstall of course.

So it's pretty obvious to me that the Search option is not working properly.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There should not be any corrupt cookies.
There may only be a few on the system because when you ran ATF cleaner we had you clear all of that out.

Cookies should not be a problem.

Cookies are usually located at
C:\Documents and settings\administrator
C:\Documents and settings\your name

You should see a couple folders named "cookies".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then go to Control Panel then to Add\RemovePrograms
At the top of the window put a checkmark in the box labeledShow Updates
Now scroll down through the list till you find the IE8 update.
Highlight and then click the Remove button to the right.
Once uninstalled then go back to IE and it should be back to either version 6 or 7.
Try IE and see if now it works. If so then go to windows update and do the IE update again. Try IE again after update and let us know how everything works then.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Please look at the SNAP shoot, the item at the very top is Windows Internet Explorer 8, and underneath that is the Security Update Windows Internet Explorer 8, which one do in UNINSTALL ???

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Please look at the SNAP shoot, the item at the very top is Windows Internet Explorer 8, and underneath that is the Security Update Windows Internet Explorer 8, which one do in UNINSTALL ???

Sorry, I forgot to Upload the SNAPshoot. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The top one will or should uninstall the others. If not then uninstall them also.
The top one is the actual IE 8 program update.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

We have a problem.

Look at the SNAPshot.

I was just getting ready to do the UNINSTALL and all thses programs will be DELETED too.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Guys:

I think I have either a serious VIRUS or really bad MALWARE because I'm finding that anywhere I have signed in, when I go back to whatever Website I have to login again.

Please see attached my Hijackthis Report, so you can see what's there. :)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:47:59 PM, on 11/3/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/mywaybiz
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://bfc.myway.com...chlft.html?p=DS
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebse...?p=ZCxdm492YYUS
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.mi...b?1256951710656
O16 - DPF: {6F6FDB9E-5072-498C-BCB0-2B7F00C49EE7} (DellSystemLite.Scanner) - http://www.support.d...lSystemLite.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54} (ArmHelper Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/Big%20City%20Adventure/Images/armhelper.ocx
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.m...ent/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.ad...Plus/1.6/gp.cab
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: McciCMService - Motive Communications, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--
End of file - 6078 bytes

Edited by simplee55, 03 November 2009 - 07:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't use those logs in this forum. They are only for the Malware forum and only the malware techs can assist in the reading of the logs.
As for the previous post unless the programs listed are IE8 then you have no worries. All the message is saying that those programs were installed after IE8 was installed.
None that I see depend on IE8.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
:) OK.

I'm going to UNINSTALL IE8 now.

Will let you know how it's working for me.

Nothing else to say other than, your a GENIUS.

I just set my Home page with Yahoo and closed out and reopened IE and I'm good to go.

Thank U

simplee

Edited by simplee55, 03 November 2009 - 08:47 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Can you please tell me how to deal with this problem:

I am trying to Change Ownership and Register this PC with DELL. The problem I'm having is:

Every time I go online at Dell.com they want to know who I am, so I'm asked to give this thing called: a Service Tag No, after I give the info required, another page opens and as it's doing it's thing, there is this banner that appears across the top in YELLOW, it says:

"Internet Explorer has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner. As a result, this page might not display correctly"

than the page either directs me to another page or, it just goes dead and it tells me that the "Service Tag information could not be found. I must get that information to proceed.

What should I do, because I have to change OWNERSHIP so I can purchase a "Service Warranty" which is outdated.

Thank U !!! :)