Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashes after trying to update Java

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take the second option That will be the download of the memtest program and
creating the iso file
burning it to a cd and rebooting to start the program from the cd

Advertisements

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Good Morning,

Ran the memtest through the night: 8 passes - 0 errors

I reviewed event viewer after booting system up and noticed:

Application error - sdCoreService No event associated

Having said that, I haven't experienced and problems.

Scott

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Java now installed and up to date?

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
No - As I didn't think we had done anything I didn't reload it, but I'll do that now and report back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok make sure you get the newest version which I believe is 16 right now.

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Java 6.16 installed and running

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's wait to say everything is ok for at least a day of using the system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

rshaffer61

My system has been running with no crashes. Yet what did we do? I'm a pessimist when things come clear while testing. If you recall, after I used JAVA RA, I was able to load Java 6.16, but crashed maybe 12 hours later.

All we've done is several cycles of dskchk where only unused indexes were reported. I never got a clean run, but the first one did have 2390 unused indexes. Would this not be normal on a system running for some time?

Then we did the memtests which I ran overnight. Again, no errors found.

While the system definitely seems stable, did we really do anything?

I'm greatly appreciative of your assistance and staying in there, thus I am PM'ng you directly.

I'd like to wait a day to offer a closing reply on my past of appreciation.

Might I have a ghost that's going to reappear?

Your thoughts?

The problem seems to have been with the hard drive itself with bad clusters and or sectors. the chkdsk apparently corrected this problem which now is why you are having no more issues.
Apparently the update was trying to install to the portion of the drive that was having problems.
Can it return?
Yes if the drive is in any way physically damaged then it may return.
If the problem was repaired then you should not have any return of the issue.

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
:)

Voilà! I am so grateful! Over 48 hours & no issues.

Mr. Shaffer, I can't thank you enough. One thing I don't see is a donation option. Is there one?

Lastly, I indicated in one post I'm leery of letting ccleaner do its clean-up. What is your opinion of this?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Lastly, I indicated in one post I'm leery of letting ccleaner do its clean-up

Not me. I would rather do my own maintenance.
Never trust a program that does more then one job at a time.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

rshaffer

Not sure how I should proceed. -ys crashed again, rebooted itself and crashed again, both times just after the desktop was presented and sys starting up programs. I successfully went into safe mode and am now running dskchk /are.

your direction please.

will pick it up tomorrow.

thanks & please advise.

start new issue or reply to my old oneN

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

R shaffer

I'm experiencing crashes again and had to boot into safe mode.

Reviewing events, I see Dcom error on one boot, services error on another.

on both boot sequences after the crash, it seemed the desktop came up and subsequently crashed while loading up start programs and/or printers.

Should I start a new post? Reply to last issueN

do you think I have a bad disk? ControllerN

4 year old t43 Thinkpad.

Kindly Advise,

Thanks

Ps - Apologize if this a duplicate msg! Not sure 1st went through. Sending via Palm Pre

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry just woke up and having my coffee.
Here we go then.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
DskTstScrnDmp1.jpg

Good Morning & thanks for being there!

Looked around earlier and took the lead to download Levono Disk Test for Hitachi drive. Ran several times - all test pass. Is the utility you're suggesting do a more comprehensive test? I don't mind running if you prefer to get started.

Scott

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am really thinking now we are dealing with some type of infection.
From checking you had a topic open in Malware that never got answered to.
Let me suggest this as we both need to know if this is the case.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here