Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashes after trying to update Java

• Please log in to reply

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Will do. When I initially posted, I realized I posted in the wrong place. I use PCtools Spyware Doc, Malware Bytes and Norton and keep a close watch on things. Have had malware in the past and think I'm clean, but have no problem looking at literally everything.

Ironic, I couldn't get booted up until I ran checkdsk /r again as we did before, with my past experience with UNIX, does lead me to agree with your initial diagnosis something is flaky with the disk or disk controller. That's not to say, something isn't lying around waiting to be used.

I'll proceed over there unless you think the chkdsk process is telling us different.

Thanks - Scott

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The reason I think the controller or the drive isn't bad is because everything seems to work other then this issue. It still could be a possibility but at this point I want to make sure we haven't been fighting a invisible foe :) all this time.
You could also try the HD diagnostic again.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Make sure you run all the scans in the Start Here area and then post the required logs in your Malware topic. I did see there were no logs included so that may be the reason you got no response. I will monitor that topic also if you would be so kind as to post a link to it here. :)

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
http://www.geekstogo...es-t257081.html

Have performed all Malware requested procedures, posted logs, etc.

Moved over to Malware Forum for further analysis

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure why but the link you provided doesn't work for me so I am including it HERE