Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sony vaio high cpu usage, very slow streaming

• Please log in to reply

jbr666

jbr666

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
i'm using my moms sony vaio. it has 4gb of ram so i should think it is quite a good machine? however. the cpu usage is constantly up at the 30-50% mark and streaming anything is incredibly slow. i have been told that slow streaming can be down to having too many programs running in the background. i opened task manager, but not being particularly well up i didn't want to end processes without knowing what they are. there are anawful lot though..can anypone help??

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

It could be there are a few programs running at start-up and in the background.

Please download Autoruns from HERE

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply

Once I have taken a look from there we can decide were to go from there.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Also...

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

jbr666

jbr666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   154.98KB   229 downloadsAttached File  AutoRuns.txt   154.98KB   229 downloads

here is the autoruns file

jbr666

jbr666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Attached File  Procexp.txt   11.19KB   1074 downloads
here is the process explorer file
many thanks for your replies and in advance of your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Process Explorer looks OK with System Idle Process at 82.19% and WMP taking the most of the rest at wmplayer.exe 12.94%.
Were you using WMP at the time of a snapshot?

jbr666

jbr666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i was yes. thanks again for your help. When i open task manager though it says cpu usage over 40% and physical memory at 60. surely this cant be right? there are 215 gb free on the main harddrive. Sorry if my questions seem elementary, i'm not too hot with computers

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Don't forget that as you use your computer Windows is still processing information and there are still background processes running even if you aren't doing anything with your PC.
There are allot of processes running but nothing to be alarmed about.

I think 40% is reasonable for Vista, but then again 60% on memory seems allot, but I will wait and see if Broni agrees.

You do have some start-up items that could be disabled but I'm not in a position to look and write your log yet so give me some more time there unless someone gets to it first.

jbr666

jbr666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
40%? really? i've not used vista before.. if my xp machine goes over 5 or 6 i panic lol. well any way thanks agaiin for your help. I'll disable the startup items when you have time to look at the log.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd say 60% of RAM usage is OK, but CPU at 40% is rather high. Obviously, it depends what you're running at the moment.
Try to get Process Explorer shot, when CPU spikes.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

i was yes. thanks again for your help. When i open task manager though it says cpu usage over 40% and physical memory at 60. surely this cant be right? there are 215 gb free on the main harddrive. Sorry if my questions seem elementary, i'm not too hot with computers

Don't forget these are different things, physical memory is referring to your RAM, the main hard drive is obviously your hard drive for storage, not the system memory.