Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Bar problem

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
How do I get rid of the Windows Classic Style TASK BAR. I have a dull looking gray START button. How do I get the green vibrant one back? I went to display in the control panel but the only choice there is the Windows Classic Style scheme. I want COLOR....

Advertisements

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi richocki.

There's a few things that may cause this, so we might have to try a bit of trial and error.

First, try right-clicking My Computer, and selecting Properties. On the advanced tab, click the first Settings button.
Check the item that optimizes for best appearance. Then try right-clicking the desktop > properties, and re-select the nicer theme.

Cheers,
Deon :)

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
here is my observation about it.

computer that had been infected by malware/virus would usually give you what kind of issue.

good luck

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Deon, inapaler..

I am pretty sure I have no virus or malware issues. The computer is just back from the 'shop' after having a new MB installed. It had the fancy green start button on the task bar. I know I have made a change to get the dull gray button but I can not undo it or for that matter remember what I did to change it....
scary huh! I tried what you suggested Deon and there was no change.

Would it be a theme change that I am look for? When I access the Display Properties in the drop down I have WINDOWS CLASSIC, MY CURRENT THEME, MORE THEMES ON LINE, and BROWSE. Nothing there works. Under the Appearance tab I have WINDOWS CLASSIC under Windows and Buttons drop down.

I recall having this same problem about 2 years ago but of course I can not remember the fix.
I am positive it is not a malware/virus problem. I'll just never learn to leave things alone.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on Start button
Go to Properties
The I believe you should see a customize or classic buttons.
Try this and let us know what you find.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I found the problem....! Something disabled themes in services. I do not remember going in there and disabling it but maybe a program or cleaner or something I ran did it. Anyway it is back in all its glorious color.... how nice :) Thanks for the help. I am sure I will be back with another blunder... I mean problem.

Edited by richocki, 01 November 2009 - 07:16 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.
Good job investigating and correcting the problem.
Come back anytime even if it is just to visit. :) :) :)

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Haha, nuts.. I was sleeping.
Was going to recommend the services.msc fix, and then a registry tweak.

Well anyway, good to hear you got it sorted :)

Deon :)