Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is A Special Win 7 Driver Needed For Trendnet

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Have a Trendnet TU2-ET100 Fast Ethernet Adapter, V3.0R and it doesn't work with my new computer w/Win 7 (it's a Dell w/Win 7-64bit upgrade).

The adapter has worked on my XP-32 bit system for almost a year - but doesn't connect on the new win 7 system.

The CD for the adapter has a driver for XP-32, XP-64, Vista-32, and Vista-64.

I used the driver for Vista-64 bit - seemed closest ... but 'no cigar'.

Is a special Win 7 driver needed?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule newer versions of Windows come with drivers for all the hardware that was released between the previous versions of Windows and the new one. However this isn't always the case and there will always be some hardware that doesn't work with a brand new operating system. USB to network adaptors is a case in point.

Generally Vista drivers do work in a 7 environment. However I have to ask, since your new Dell will almost certainly have a network port on it, why do you need a USB to network adaptor?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

since your new Dell will almost certainly have a network port on it, why do you need a USB to network adaptor?

You are exactly correct - :) I had forgotten all about it - Sorry.
I'm so used to ignoring the network adapter on my old machine (it no longer works - probably because the PC is 8 years old).

I'll try connecting that way and expect will work.

THANKS for reminding me.