Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Runs At 100%... Why?

• Please log in to reply

arjirik

arjirik

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My son has an older Dell Dimension 4550 desktop. I looked at it recently and it's constantly running at 100% and extremely slow. What's causing it is cisvc.exe which is at 98-99% all the time.

What is cisvc.exe? Can I get rid of it or at least adjust it somehow? Also, are those "speed up my computer" products advertised on TV any good?

Thanks for your advice.

Advertisements

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I would not use any of the speed up my pc services as found on tv. Most of them will cause more damage than good.

As far as the cisvc.exe - it is a vital part of xp and disabling it could cause many programs to not run correctly.

Have you recently installed the Windows Search 4 feature? It is possible - that if you have a large amount of data on the machine - that the indexing service is constantly running. This will continue until it completes. You can try to disable indexing and performing other tweaks to see if this speeds up your machine by following the instructions here.

If these tweaks do not help - I would be more inclined the think you may have some kind of malware infection. If the previous steps did not help you - Please visit the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top. Start with the instructions HERE! These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.

If at the end you are still experiencing a slow machine come back to this section and well see what else could be the root of the issue.

Edited by geekhelp4u, 01 November 2009 - 09:33 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press ctrl+alt+delete keys at the same time...click on process tab...drag the bottom down so the whole window shows...grab a screen shot and post it for me...
for how to post screenshot...go here...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
cisvc.exe is associated with indexing or a infection.
I suggest turning off Indexing and see if the resolves the issue.
Happyrock what do you think?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would start with turning off indexing 1st. Its a resource hog.
Then look at the processes as Happyrock is looking for.

After that we can continue to other solutions.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if cisvc.exe is in fact the guilty party you can end the process using the task manager...if it respawns its probaly a infection