Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes, restarts randomly, now XP won't open

• Please log in to reply

jdez

jdez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP desktop with windows XP. I bought it 3 years ago new. The last several months I have developed a problem with the computer freezing up. The only way I could solve it was to power it off. Then it started to reboot on it's own. Then the last few times I tried, it won't start at all. It gets to the blue screen (BSOD) that tells me to check if hardware/software is installed properly may need to be reinstalled. But, I did not install anything lately. It also will not start in safe or any other mode.
The computer still ran fast before all of this happened. I still have over 125G of hard drive free out of 250G.
I did take it back to Best Buy and they did a virus scan and a quick scan. Nothing found. I didn't want to spend all the $ they want to charge for a "full scan". I did get a new power cord and didn't have any problems for a month of so. That was between freezing before, and now, not starting at all.
I opened the case a while back and used an air can to clean the dust out. Thought that may be an issue with heat. It did nothing either.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by jdez, 01 November 2009 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements