Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to start wired or wireless internet in Compaq Laptop CQ40-317TU

• Please log in to reply

Kumari

Kumari

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there,

Recently I have formatted my laptop CQ40-317TU, removed Windows Vista (as it was slow) and opted for Windows XP (really it works very fast).

But I am facing difficulties with my wired and wireless internet connections. Nothing is working. Even I am unable to make a successful wired Network connection or wireless connection.

This was working fine with Windows Vista in both above modes. Can some one guide me how to solve the problem.

Thank you...

Edited by Kumari, 01 November 2009 - 11:32 PM.

Advertisements

rzigon

rzigon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm almost 100% you just need to update/install drivers to get it to work if you just formatted. If you have no way of accessing the internet from this computer use another to download the drivers for your computer and transfer it on for installation. Should be on your laptop makes website. Not to sure if this is your laptop but if it's a "Compaq Presario CQ40-317TU" go here:http://h10025.www1.h...r...mp;lang=en.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Kumari

Kumari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for reply...

I could go to link provided (hp.com...) and got three drivers for Windows XP. HP Wireless assistant got installed. But network is not working yet. I have the WPA/WEP key which I used earlier for modem and trying with that... not working.

With respect to second reply... I am sending the screen shot of Device Manager. Shows some four items in yellow colour.

Please give me your feedback.
Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• device_manager_screen_shot.JPG

Edited by Kumari, 05 November 2009 - 07:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need the wireless and the broadband drivers.
The one you have is the assistant not the actual driver.
If you could provide a direct link to the page we could assist you.

Kumari

Kumari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

If you could provide a direct link to the page we could assist you.

What is a direct link to the page. I am not clear, which page and what should I provide...

Edited by Kumari, 05 November 2009 - 11:54 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have the drivers so my mistake on last post.
The assistant does no good for your issue.
If you have the actual driver then you need to right click on the ethernet controller
Then click update driver and where you saved the driver have it look there for the new driver.

Kumari

Kumari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thank you for reply...

But I do not have any CDs and drivers with my laptop. As per information heard, HP has stopped supporting for XP usage on these types of Laptops (and supports only for Vista).

I have gone through several forums also but no technique is helping. Some drivers whichever I could get in net, I tried... but failed and I have only above device manager screen.

Still can something be done other than switching back to Vista (which I do not want)

Hoping for reply