Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer build for video editing

• Please log in to reply

dmichael

dmichael

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am looking to build my second computer myself and wanted some guidance. I am building this computer for video editing and need something with more power. I will be installing windows 7 64 bit on the computer. I already have two 1TB hard drives and two 250GB hard drives that I will be using with it, also have a monitor so no need for that. I am looking to buy an i7 with a good deal of ram (6-8+ GB). My price range is about $700-$800. Can anyone help with this?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
First off, I don't run Win7, or 64bit.

When you speak about video editing, what kind of software are you planning to use? Is the software professional, or consumer? This has a huge bearing on what components you need to build with.

I do a lot of video editing. Working with avis, mpegs, dvds, encoding/ripping. I use Pegasys software (consumer) for encoding, along with various other free software... virtualdub, ffdshow, subtitleworkshop, etc.

Machine specs for consumer software aren't that stringent. A good video card, versus an expensive video card, is all that's required. Basically, you don't have to buy an expensive vid card for editing, although it would help if there was a fair amount of ram on it. The most important is raw CPU power which the i7 should have plenty of. The next thing is a good motherboard with good regulation, a good power supply, and good after-market CPU cooler done up with Arctic Silver 5 or equiv. Don't use the stock CPU cooler if you can help it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Care to explain why not?

dmichael

dmichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The editing software I will be using is CS4 and I MIGHT be using 3DS. Any video edits will be in AVCHD format. Why not the 64bit? How else would you take full control over the ram and software?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Care to explain why not?

This was only to inform the OP that I don't run Win7 or 64bit so I cannot relate to that OS and 64bit applications.

Did you think I meant something else?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Why not the 64bit?

See my reply to Troy.

How else would you take full control over the ram and software?

What has 64bit have to do with this?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh my goodness! I completely misread that one! :) I didn't read the "I" properly, and thought you were telling the OP not to use 64-bit Windows 7, and I was a bit surprised by it. Sorry mate!

64-bit would be required to make full use of the RAM as the OP is wanting 6-8GB. dmichael, are you looking for some help choosing parts for this machine?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Oh my goodness! I completely misread that one! :) I didn't read the "I" properly, and thought you were telling the OP not to use 64-bit Windows 7, and I was a bit surprised by it. Sorry mate!

Yes, this is what I thought you were thinking. No problem, I think the OP misread it too.

64-bit would be required to make full use of the RAM as the OP is wanting 6-8GB.

Yes, I already know this. My question is more about "controlling" the ram and software. Perhaps the OP meant controlling the amount of ram he can install/use. As far as software goes, there's nothing to do as long as it supports 64bit.

dmichael

dmichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I was looking for what parts you thought were best for the build. I already have an idea but I am not sure yet.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well go ahead and give me the parts that you are thinking first! If I can use anything as a base then it will help to make it "your" machine. :)

dmichael

dmichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Everything that I am looking at is coming from new egg....

ATX Mid Tower Black Computer Case With 585W Power Supply
N82E16811121065 Price $60

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813128375 Price $189

XFX PVT95GZAFG GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
N82E16814150322 Price $60

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB
N82E16819115202 Price $289

G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
N82E16820231282 Price $125 X 2

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X
N82E16827151192 Price $29

Not sure what kind of fan just yet
Price $?

That is everything I was looking at, I have the hard drives and the monitors. Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Definitely need to upgrade the case and PSU, you want a good case with airflow to keep the parts nice and cool, and a quality PSU to make sure everything can get the power needed.