Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can i delete this folder?

• Please log in to reply

geekstome

geekstome

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hello
i found 2 "large size" files inside c:\ and external hard disk partition..
can i delete those files and is it will cause an instability for my windows xp operation?

the files are printed in screen shots below:

a) external hard disk (FOUND.000)
Posted Image

b) partition c:\ (hiberfil.sys)

Posted Image

thanks in advance.. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

b) partition c:\ (hiberfil.sys)

that one's easy...if you use the hibernation or standby functions on this computer then no...don't delete that file....if you DON'T use hibernation or standby...then disable those features (right click on the desktop and choose properties, then go to the screen savers tab, then choose power, then go to the hibernation tab and uncheck the hibernation box, to disable standby, change anything in the general tab under power settings that says standby to something else) and delete the file

for the first one...have you recently used any file recovery software on your computer?

geekstome

geekstome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
oh i see, so which is better, turn off hibernate or let it on? hmm, sorry sir, i have no idea about the recovery "thingy" .. can i delete that file? it's bugging me because eating too much space for my hard disk..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...in my experience hibernation does more harm than good (not really harm...just annoyance)...it's rare that i've ever had a system that goes into hibernation and then comes back out without having to restart the computer anyway....plus...if i'm away from my computer for any extended period of time i turn it off

hibernation basically takes a snapshot of your system at a given time period (i.e. after 30 minutes or an hour) and then turns the computer off...then when you turn it on it opens itself back up exactly how you left it (with applications open etc..)...if you never leave your computer alone with stuff open that you want to get back to (note this doesn't apply to things like file downloads or chat communications since those rely on active communication which will terminate when the system hibernates) then you don't need hibernation on...it's used to save time/electricity

apparently the "found" folder is a set of data recovered during a checkdsk operation...you can look through that folder and see if any files contain anything useful... i've seen people suggest ChkMate as a useful application for checking these files and recovering them