Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi folks, anyone have any idea what could cause this problem? I recently put a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP laptop and have been using it fine for a couple of weeks. In the last day or two, every time I boot up I don't get my desktop or taskbar loading - only Windows Explorer.

I can get around it by running a new instance of explorer from Task Manager (launched via ctrl-alt-esc shortcut!) but its annoying to say the least.

Any thoughts? All I've done of late is install Spybot Search and Destroy (and run a full scan which came up blank).

Thanks!

Advertisements

Dave_Shrimper

Dave_Shrimper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm you could try a few things here. Does it happen if you boot in safe mode, or if you make a new admin account and login to that one?

If it works in either of these, then you can always try hitting a restore point.

If a restore point isn't available, you could try a repair install of windows, or if it works from another admin account, simply use that, but that would be ignoring the problem, not fixing it.

If all else fails, you can wait for more advice from here, or you could re install windows from scratch!

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Dave. Switched on this evening to blue screen errors which windows couldn't repair. Fortunately there was a restore point from last week which I've recovered and, fingers crossed, all is ok. I've never used restore points before at all, but am going to start scheduling them from now on!

ps. I had the same problem when booting into safe mode. Very odd!

Edited by RichardB1, 03 November 2009 - 12:44 PM.