Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What can problem be?

• Please log in to reply

dylan123

dylan123

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
2 and a half months ago my computer started to go non-responding for everything but my World of warcraft game basicly, i got it reformatted by a computer tech manager, 1 week later it does same thing so i Reformat again, it now lasted 2 months then started to freeze completely and cant move mouse and keyboard would not respond ( num lock, light etc. . .) so i reformat again, but 10 mins after reformat i see problem is happening again! i Cleaned out all the dust and all 3 fans are working. i have an Acer Aspire M5640 quad core 3 gig ram. Never got a blue screen.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello dylan123.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

If this is happening after 10 minutes of fresh install the problem is most likely not a software issue.
Did you use the recovery disk to recover the system and if not what did you use to reinstall OS with?

Start with the following diagnostic on the hard drive and let us know the results.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey i tried finding who makes the hard drive and i cant find out who it is... Can you help me out finding who makes it? Also i have 2 disk Recovery when i reformat it not sure if that downloads my OS but im sure it does

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are not sure which manufacturer on the hard drive then use the SeaTools
It is most likely to be compatible. The disk itself may be damaged and that is why the issue keeps returning. I believe it's a ahrdware issue though.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
i downloaded it when i clicked Rescan it went beserk and went to blue screan all i could read was BUGCODE before screan was gone and computer restarted, trying again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We need to try and get the technical information from BSOD. please do the following and maybe we can obtain the information.

BSOD outside of Windows

• Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK
Serial number: SCSI-FC-SAS
Model number: 00AAJS-22A8B

Smart check - unavailable
Sdst - failed
ldst - failed
Drive information - (program will end)
Short Generic - Pass
Long Generic - (i aborted it because scan was taking way to long)
Another thing is, the 2 ones that failed dont scan just say fail like 4 secondes after i clicked them

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It seams that the 2 ones that failed arent even scanning so doesnt seam to good, (firmware revision 01.0 maybe im running wrong one? )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The long scan will take a lot longer to complete.
Let's take a look at the memory then.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok so i started running it but i cant upload the pic because it says its too big but this is what i got so far!

about 9 errors and its only done 1 pass...
ill give link to website you can check photos out and tell me what you think.!

http://img32.imagesh...26/1001402c.jpg

http://img22.imagesh...95/1001405k.jpg

By the way thanks for all this help man

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are getting errors is it with more then one stick of memory?
If so then remove all but one stick and rerun the test.
If that module clears as good then go to the next stick.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
3GB DDR2 is the ram
I have no idea if its 1 stick?
how can i find out?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Desktop looking from the front it would be the left side panel. Take it off and let me know when you have this step complete.
If laptop there should be a little bay door somewhere on it that unscrews where them memory modules would be.

At this point I can tell you for sure you have a memory problem. :)

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok its open

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
There is 2 sticks, how do i ground myself and were do i pu tthe stick im taking out so it dont get damaged?