Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your ISO files are associated with you zip program.
When you unzipped the first file if it was a zip file you downloaded then there should be only one file then
If you downloaded a ISO version then all you do is follow the instructions on how to burn it.

Advertisements

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
This is the file I downloaded http://isohunt.com/t...ppy?tab=summary I got the link from their website.

Ok, I think I see my problem, I downloaded the wrong file, lol, 90mb file, took 4 hours to dl. I have found the exact one you stated above now, thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why did you go there?
I supplied the link to Puppy linux and to the burning program.
Please follow the instructions I supplied.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes, the link you gave me led to the puppy site, I got that link directly from the puppy site under their version 2, that was the first download link they gave me, it was my fault for not scrolling down furthur to see different versions lower down on the page (the one you supplied) But anyways it does not matter, I have my other computer running on it and I am in my hard drive and I have my flash drive open. I am currently coppying all the files.

I was thinking about what I said earlier about scanning the drive to try and fix it with anti virus software. The software that I will be using to scan the drive will be.
MacAfee
Malwarebytes
Adaware
Spyware Search and Destroy

Are there any other programs that you suggest I have installed on this computer and ready to scan my hard drive with?

Thank you for all your help rshaffer61, your responces have helped me a ton and I have been shocked at how quickly you get back. It is people like you that keep people like me from giving up and spending a couple hundred dollars at a best buy to try and get it fixed. So thank you sir.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
P2P files are known to contain virus's and other malicious codes that can cause havoc with your system.
This is why I question where you downloaded the file from.
The scanners you use are fine for Home user use but if there is any question in your mind that there may be an infection then I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I went to my local computer store to get an adapter but they wanted $35 for one of them. I thought since I am probably getting a new system anyways and thanks to you I was able to recover all my data from my hard drive why waste the money.

I have my windows CD from dell, is it possible to just erase everything on this HD and start from scratch? Or is the blue screen of death possibly caused by a hardware problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as it is the original cd that came with the system then it should work fine.
Like i said if the chkdsk is taking this long to finish even after the first running of it then it seems to be a problem with the HD.
You have all your data now backed up so formatting and reinstalling fresh will hopefully get rid of the error for awhile. BUT if the hd is failing the problem will return eventually.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmmm this may be a problem. The Dell CD that came with the computer was lost years ago. I just bought another one from Dell and got it in the mail. The CD they sent me says on it...

OPERATING SYSTEM
Already Installed on your computer
Reinstallation CD
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 2

There is no CD code on it.

For Dell computers do you need a code?

rzigon

rzigon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just read through this and I ran into a similar problem half hour ago. I don't have the original Compaq XP disk but I do have an HP one, is this fine? Everything I do results in a flash of the blue screen after the windows logo.

Stop: 0x0000007E, 0xC0000005, 0x804D9A69, 0xF734967C, 0xF7349378

Have no idea what any of that means but thought I'd post. Basically my question is if I can't fix it with chkdsk will I be able to reformat using an XP disk from an HP computer?

Thanks!

Edited by rzigon, 04 November 2009 - 07:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bob is the cd you bought from Dell the same as the original OS that was on the system?
There should be a sticker somewhere on the computer usually on one of the sides with a registration key code and what the original OS that was installed.
Did you buy it to replace the cd that was lost from Dell?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I just read through this and I ran into a similar problem half hour ago. I don't have the original Compaq XP disk but I do have an HP one, is this fine? Everything I do results in a flash of the blue screen after the windows logo.

Stop: 0x0000007E, 0xC0000005, 0x804D9A69, 0xF734967C, 0xF7349378

Have no idea what any of that means but thought I'd post. Basically my question is if I can't fix it with chkdsk will I be able to reformat using an XP disk from an HP computer?

Thanks!

Direct to: rzigon

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.
I will tell you that NO it will not work as one is Compaq and the other is a HP. Two different systems with different drivers.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes, Both CD's are of windows XP, though the origional was service pack 1 and this one is service pack 2. Yes I did buy it from dell to replace the origional CD, I got it through their tech support.

Ha, I have owned this computer for almost 5 years and I am not sure if I ever noticed that sticker there before. I have the number!

This seems to be the best guide to take me through a reformat http://www.ehow.com/...hard-drive.html If you know of one that is better I would appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the guide we use.
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh.
Now with the Recovery it may not follow exactly but it will be close enough.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Lol, this guide is scaring me so far. I have the Belarc program that is supposted to give you a detailed list of the hardware you have in your computer so that you can then get drivers for it. I can not find out how to (if it is even possible) run this program in Puppy Linux.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Use the guide you are comfortable with. If you are looking for a list of hardware in your system why not use the Device Manager?
Contact Belarc using the contact numbers HERE and ask them about Linux Compatibility.