Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder of PC... won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

Panda125

Panda125

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just got all my parts and put all the pieces together and the computer will not turn on. This is the first time i have built a computer from scratch, however I have replaced parts from my old computer so I have pretty much placed all parts onto a computer. I have found one problem that my power supply won't support the graphics card I have due to the fact it needs 2 6 pin power inputs for it... however I dont think that would be a reason for the entire system not to turn on. Here is the list of my parts:

CASE: Case
RAM: Patriot Gamer Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGS34G1600ELKA
Motherboard: ECS BLACK SERIES P45T-AD3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
CPU : Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
PSU : 400W PSU

The Power Supply and the Disc Drive I am using for my new computer are the only things I am scrapping from my old computer so I know it works. I tested to see if it was the switch broken by connecting the 2 Power pins with a conductor (Switch is broken on this computer and I have to do that to power it on). Is there any compatibility issues with these products? All of them fit perfectly into place so I am really unsure what exactly the problem is. After my new PC didn't work I unplugged everything pulled out the power supply and rewired my new PC and it turned on fine. So that lets me know that I am wiring things properly and the PSU is working. Any suggestions?

Edited by Panda125, 03 November 2009 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A 400W PSU is highly likely not enough for the system, can you post the make/model on it please?

If the graphics card is not getting any power you won't get any display. Did you plug in the CPU power connector?

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am not sure on the exact model (I'm at work but can edit this later), but I know the brand name is Dynex and I remember it not being too expensive either (I would guess 50-80 bucks 2 years ago) compared to the power supplies that normally run a system like this. I know I am going to have to upgrade the PSU anyway for the graphics card so I will try this all with a new PSU. Yea the CPU connection is in, but in the manual for the Motherboard it says atleast 300W in order to run it so I assumed I would get some spark of life when i turned it on, no fans spinning.. no lights, no signs of life at all. Can the PSU being too weak cause all of this? And if so, how much Power do you think would be safe to go with in order for this to work?

EDIT:
PSU: Dynex® - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply
Pretty sure this is it.

Edited by Panda125, 04 November 2009 - 07:10 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I should think you would be getting at least the fans turning, but it won't POST with no power to the graphics and I wouldn't advise running it at all until you can get a decent PSU. I'd be looking at something like the Corsair VX-550 as a minimum.

When you get a much better quality PSU, then follow these instructions:

http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html