Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook and Word keeps refreshing every 10 seconds

• Please log in to reply

capescor

capescor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

I am new and apologise if I've posted in the wrong forum. I primarily use MS Office 2007 Outlook and Word and lately both keep flickering/refreshing every 10 seconds. How do I stop it? I tried doing a Google and could not find anything solving this problem. Please help and thanks.

H

Advertisements

vinod_r2

vinod_r2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Are you using a Windows XP machine or a Vista machine?

I suspect that the program focus is being stolen... :)

If its XP try this and let us know if it work out for you.

1.Close all other windows including Outlook etc.... and then

Download Tweak UI from Microsoft. Be sure to download the program to a location where you can easily find it, like your Desktop.

Double-click the downloaded file to install it.Then Click on Start, then All Programs (or Programs), then to the Powertoys for Windows XP folder.

In the Tweak UI program, click the + next to General on the left and Click on Focus.

On the right, check the Prevent applications from stealing focus checkbox and then click the OK button.

Close all windows and see it worked out for you.

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Vinod

Thanks but it did not work. I also noticed that when I have MS Office opened and by that I mean Outlook, the whole laptop seems to be refreshing. Do I have a virus? I ran Kaspersky and BitDefender online, but could not find anything. Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy as I cannot do anything due to the laptop/office refreshing/flickering every 10 secs.

Thanks for the help in advance.

H

vinod_r2

vinod_r2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Does the screen flicker or is it just that the program does not stay selected?

Please perform a full windows update by visiting www.update.microsoft.com and then let me know in detail about the machine details

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

I did an update check and my comp is up-to-date. What details would you like to know? If it helps any, my problem is similar to http://techrepublic....t...532&start=0

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start and then on Run
Type in msconfig and then press Enter
Now click on Startup
Next click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint

In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save As
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop

In your next reply attach the screenshot.

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

The screenshots attached. I have this problem only when I start MS Office. Office and Win Explorer starts flickering/refreshing every 10 secs. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

H

Attached Thumbnails

• sc1.JPG
  • sc2.JPG
  • sc3.JPG

vinod_r2

vinod_r2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
let's try something.. ( I suspect that there i an issue with intel driver... I hope you are not using drivercure etc..)

Start and then on Run
Type in msconfig and then press Enter
Now click on Startup

uncheck these

• hkcmd.exe
  • igfxtray.exe
  • igfxpers.exe

restart the machine and say no to the prompt from msconfig to revert the changes and check outlook now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
vinod_r2 :) :) :)

vinod_r2

vinod_r2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

vinod_r2 :) :) :)

hope it works for the OP.... else.. i was planning to get the Autoruns.arn and check that out.... at this point.. i still suspect the display driver / chipset or a missing SP for the MS office.... i guess we need to wait and see.... :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe you are on the right track with your suggestion.
Something to think about with the display driver theory is why it only does this with Outlook and word. :) If it was a driver it should do it with just about everything.

vinod_r2

vinod_r2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

I believe you are on the right track with your suggestion.
Something to think about with the display driver theory is why it only does this with Outlook and word. :) If it was a driver it should do it with just about everything.

true... we missed out safe mode option... that would have told us that :) ...

then i am still keeping Outlook plugins causing this still open.. so if none work... perhaps a safe mode on outlook....

so to be honest.. i shot known solutions first before doing a proper approach.... :) ( not a textbook style.. hmm... :) )

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Vinod

I suspect that you are reading from the link that I had pasted and telling me to do what that poster had done, which eitherways I would have done if it was possible, because if you had taken the trouble of going through the screenshots of the startup that I have pasted, you'd have noticed that I don't have igfxtray.exe and igfxpers.exe in my start-up. hkcmd.exe has always been there in startup from day one, so I don't know how useful unchecking it would have been.

This is the 3rd suggestion of yours wich has not worked and I am left with the feeling that you are experimenting at my expense.
H

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
capescor please understand that not every issue is the same and we do not know what you have or have not tried.
What vinod advises is at best suggestions and sometimes the reason for the issue is unknown and has to be determined by doing steps which can or can not resolve it.
As for this comment

This is the 3rd suggestion of yours wich has not worked and I am left with the feeling that you are experimenting at my expense

We do not experiment at a OP's expense and try to give the best advice possible.
Now since there is a problem then let's go forward with some planned steps.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As another step boot into Safe Mode with networking and try the program then. Does the issue happen then?
If not then you have a driver problem that is loading in normal mode.
If it happens in Safe Mode then the problem is either hardware or a software issue. Software by program or OS system itself.