Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR ; Dell Dimension 2400 Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

heated

heated

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Help with Dell Dimension 2400; Windows XP; No OS installation CD included

After starting up the computer (cannot access Desktop), a message displays the follwing:

"Loading PBR for Descriptor 2... Done

NTLDR is missing

Press Ctrl, Alt, Del"

I tried pressing "Ctrl F-11" and a screen asked us to Restore the system or Reboot.

"Recovering" would erase all stored data on the HD. Are there any other options to avoid losing all the data?

Edited by heated, 03 November 2009 - 10:02 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://www.geekstogo...34#entry1415734

heated

heated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thx 4 the quick response, but the info I read following those links seemed to require the Windowns OS cd. Is there any way to do the recovery without the cd? I apologize ahead of time if the info is included... Sorry, I'm not trying to be lazy; it's just that I'm on a friend's computer, so I don't have the time to read every single post. Thank you...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You won't be able to do much without Windows CD.
Borrowed one will do.

heated

heated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
^That's what I figured, but I was told that the manufacturer did not include an installation Cd.

I just need some clearing up...

* So, I would need to boot from a flash drive or CD with the i386 Directory on it?

* Is there any way to back up any of the data (pix, docs, etc.) on what I'm assuming would be the C: drive, without being able to access the GUI (desktop)?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. Yes.
2. You can slave the drive in another computer: http://www.dtidata.c...ave-hard-drive/