Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios/system restart problem

• Please log in to reply

cyborgguineapig

cyborgguineapig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I am in need of help. Last night in an attempt to bring better performance to my computer through the bios/cmos? I decided stupidly to play around with the memory settings (page where you set readram speed) and after restarting I know only get long three second beeps and nothing more. I have tried hitting F10 and insert on system restart to default the bios settings but it is not working. All I remember changing in the bios was in the memory settings changing something to 133mhz and a ct setting to 8 instead of 4...or something like that. Help would be much appreciated on how I can enter the bios again to default the back to the original settings because as of now I just get a black screen and the beeping 3 seconds after powering up the computer.

I also read through search results on here and somewhere someone said that they simply left their computer on and after a while the system reset itself automatically? could I try that?

Windows Xp, P4 1.5ghz, Tyan motherboard I believe, 512 ram,hm

Edited by cyborgguineapig, 15 May 2005 - 08:40 PM.

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Resetting bios is simple, there are two ways. open up your case and look at the motherboard...make sure you ground yourself before doing this (touch something metal to release static tention so you dont shock anything important). there are two ways. first is the conventional way, a mb jumper that grounds the bios circuit, but take out the jumper before you turn on your comp or wierd things happen (labeled in your mb manuel). if you dont have a manuel, look for a battery labeled lithium or KTS or something, take it out and put it back in.
hope this helps
Nixx

cyborgguineapig

cyborgguineapig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Nixx I tried doing what you said with the battery but it didn't help any. The other way with the jumper I don't quite get how to do but my Mb manual should probably help me if I can find it. Also I see that bios and cmos are two different things? Is it the same process for both? Sorry I'm not to computer savy in technical sense.

Edited by cyborgguineapig, 15 May 2005 - 09:59 PM.

cyborgguineapig

cyborgguineapig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay I found the part of the manual that explains how to close two pins ect... All I want to know is how do I close two pins? I am guessing that I use one of those white little caps? Do you think I could just use one of the conenctors to say the fan to do this? Thanks for your help so far btw.

Something like this is what I need? Posted Image

Edited by cyborgguineapig, 16 May 2005 - 01:28 AM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the jumpers are open circut so only they will work. they will usually be blue ot black and look like swiss rolls :tazz: put it over both of the CMOS_RESET (or something to that effect) pins fore like 10 seconds, then take it off. with the battery, you have to turn it on without the battery i believe. jumpers should come with the mb, but a local computer place will give you as many as you want for free..;)
btw, cmos is more startup procedure whereas bios is prefs. it will be labled CMOS on the mb.

Nixx