Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security tool and maybe orhers

• Please log in to reply

beaniethegenie

beaniethegenie

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi All,
When I started working on my friends Gateway laptop computer, It was so bound up with "Security Tool" I could hardly do anything with it. I had to transfer programs to it with a Flash drive (Yes I inoculated it with Fash Drive Disinfector. I hope it works.). I did all the things I could that you require.

I found a website that showed me how to remove the main Security Tool .exe file. The computer ran much better after I deleted it.
I then ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware. At first I could not download updates, but I later found a way to do it with the Flash drive.
1st. run 914 hits.(full scan)
2nd. run 0 hits (quick scan)
3rd. run 4 hits (quick Scan)
4th. run 2 hits (full scan)
5th. run 0 hits (quick scan)
6th. run 0 hits (full scan)
7th. run 0 hits (full scan)
8th. run 0 hits (quick scan)
9th. run 0 hits (full scan)
10th. run 0 hits (quick scan)
11th. run 0 hits (quick scan)
12th. run 0 hits (full scan)

I did not run these all at one time. I was afraid that the bad stuff would return.
I ran some other spyware programs too. Super antispyware got a couple more but I could not update the definition files. I did a lot of other tings also.
Somewhere along the way I was able to get broadband internet working, but only for a few hours. I was able to download 11 Windows update patches and some other things.

I hope this makes some sense. I am getting very confused.
I have noticed that Windows Installer does not work. I have tried several fixes but it still does not work.
I cannot open the Windows Firewall icon in Control Panel.
I was able to get Broadband working fo about three days then the next day it would not work I do not think I did anything to cause ths. Dial up still works, but it is so slow it is not very helpful.
I am probably rambling and boring you.
I need some help.
Thanks in advance,
Geeks to go helped me clean up my daughters several years ago. It was quite succesful.
beanie the genie
Update 11/08/2009 Tried to start Laptop and it would only start in Safe Mode.Eventually after 3 tries I got it to run in Normal mode.
This morning 11/09/2009 It will not start in any Mode. It comes with the Startup menu. I have tried all the options and when it tries to start it shuts off. Like dead off, turns off the power only the amber colored light is on. I guess I will have to reload the System. My friend says he has the System Disk. HELP

Beanie the genie.

Edited by beaniethegenie, 09 November 2009 - 07:53 AM.

Advertisements