Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator permissions on home ntwrk

• Please log in to reply

wylieccoyote

wylieccoyote

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 2 older computers with fresh installs of Win XP Pro, hooked up through an smc router. Internet works great from both. Set up a nice little workgroup, and followed all tutorials I could find, but for the life of me I can't access the second computer from the first (administrator). Works fine the other way.
When I select VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS on the admin machine and then double click the other computer I get the message " _____is not accessable. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."
I am the administrator, and am logged in as the administrator!

File sharing is enabled. I uninstalled firewalls ... seemingly tried everything. It seems like the common denominator is some kind of administrator permission problem on the admin computer. There is only one windows user installed. I've tried it in Simple File Sharing Mode, and in Advanced File Sharing Mode (scary). Hooking up two computers over a little network in my house is supposed to be simple right??? Wrong! Please help me!

Advertisements

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not too sure about this, except that I know it is common.

I think it has something to do with the individual connection settings of a single computer.

I don't know if this helps but I got a screenshot of my "Items" that are associated with my Local Area Connection on both my computers.

(its attatched)

I am running a 3 computer network, with 2 computers usually on. They all work together fine so maybe you want to compare the services or "Items" that are installed.

I'm not a professional at this but I'm pretty sure it might have something to do with that.

Attached Files

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Try configuring the NIC properties to select 'Auto' for the link and Duplex speed.

wylieccoyote

wylieccoyote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Volcom and Dan G. Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up hiring a computer consultant to come over last night to fix this [bleep] thing. He spent 2 hours here fiddling with every setting imaginable and left cursing and shaking his head. Half way down the driveway he stopped and said "Why don't you try uninstalling XP SP2 on the downstairs computer?" So I did and now it works like a charm!
I feel like sending the bill to Microsoft.
Thanks again. :tazz: