Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From XP to 7 from 32bit to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply

windowtintman

windowtintman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, so I have XP SP3 32 bit factory installed on a system with a 64 bit Athlon processor. Now comes Windows 7 Professional upgrade which I pre-ordered. It has both 32 and 64 bit disks in the package. My question is...

If I put the 64 bit disk in, and reboot with it in there, can I install the 64 bit version of 7 although I have a 32bit version of XP? I already put the 64 bit disk in and got a message (while in windows) that said the 64 bit version was not compatible or not eligible or some such nonsense.

I just wonder if I can go from 32 bit XP to 64 bit 7 Pro?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO if you want 64 bit OS you will have to format and install it fresh.
You cannot upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.
Go HERE to get the scoop straight from Microsoft.

windowtintman

windowtintman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
But... Isn't the upgrade disk a complete version of 7? MS said on the link you sent me...

"If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you'll need to back up your files and then perform a custom installation of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows."

What is in bold is what I want to do. If I reboot with the 64 bit disk in, won't it install???

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Yes the media should contain the full OS,

And either way upgrading from XP to 7 will require a clean install no matter what. The only way around it is to upgrade to vista then 7 (pointless)

It don't matter if you wish to upgrade from xp 32 to 7 32. You will still need to clean install. So my advice is if you have removable media (thumb drive, ext. hard drive, network storage) back up the computer and format and clean install windows 7 in the bit flavor of your choice (64 in this case).

Edited by amw_drizz, 06 November 2009 - 08:52 PM.