Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PASSWORD LOST

• Please log in to reply

ABODES

ABODES

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: ;) :) :) BIOS SUGGESTIONS WORKED ON PASSWORD LOST / FORGOTTON, ETC. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!! ;)

Edited by ABODES, 27 May 2005 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Security in Windows 98 is purely a visual trick, it's non-existant really.

Just click cancel and you're in!

If you'd set up Users via the control panel, then you'll be logged in as 'all users'.

Don't forget, even when user accounts are created with passwords, these are stored in:

c:\windows\profiles\ 'user names' eg administrator, all users, your name etc..

If you're locked out the desktop, another visual trick, disable active desktop - right click desktop -- properties -- web tab -- uncheck view my active desktop as a web page

Or, click Start -- Run -- type explorer -- click on ok

Naviatate to the relevant My Documents folder - it'll be in the route of the c: drive if you're the only user, or go via the profiles folder in the windows folder.

Bottom line - click cancel and you're in - how's that for security :tazz:

Linuxwannabee

ABODES

ABODES

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
unfotunately i probably didn't describe my problem good enough, i cannot even get into windows. when i turn the computer on, immediately a grey screen appears asking for a password before even getting to windows. this happen to me with the same computer about six months after i purchased it and i brought it back to the store, after a few weeks they gave it back and said the problem was fixed.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Depending on your OS sometimes you can hit enter or esc to get past the login. Have you tried going into set-up and checking the admin password setup? On start-up hit either del-esc-f10 or whatever your system requires to enter setup before the OS loads.

Really I need more info about your system...like the OS for starters.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
he said that laptop doesn't even get to the operating system, so this must be a system password set through bios.

if you can (may or may not work)

Press F2 during POST (while the Extensa logo is being displayed).

Choose System Security

Choose setup password, set to disabled
Choose system password, set to disabled

It is likely that you will not be able to do this, since the setup password protection should block you from disabling system password...however, I've seen dumber things.

If that does NOT work, my guess is the shop you took it to removed the cmos battery for a while, then reinstalled it.

Before doing that, remove the power cord, the laptop battery, and press and hold the power on button for 10 seconds, then reinsert and try to boot.