Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer won't load past the Windows loading screen

• Please log in to reply

lisa31

lisa31

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My boyfriend brought his computer down for my daughter, and for the past month it has been working fine, but a week ago I turned it on and it loaded up to the windows loading screen with the little green bar, but thats as far as it got. I restarted it and it did exactly the same thing. Here is a list of the things I have tried:

*Unplugged anything that was usb
*cleaned the computer out from dust
*tried safe mode but it just brings a list up and freezes on that page
*tried booting from the CD drive with restore CD in, but that doesnt work either
*Left it unplugged for a few days and plugged everything back but still it stays on loading screen

I am very frustrated because I have tried everything I could think of so any help or information would be greatly appreciated :)

One more thing it has Windows XP home installed and its an Emachine if that is of any relevance

Thankyou

Advertisements

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Have you tried leaving it for a few minutes on that list when you try safe mode, because usually it will freeze when loading safe mode for a few minutes, it does for me anyway

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like Normal mode is what is not loading. Try rebooting and at the second post screen (black screen) start tapping F8.
That should get you to the Advance Boot Menu
Arrow down to Last Known Good Configuration. Highlight that and click Enter
If it still does not work then repeat and try Safe Mode
Let us know if either of these work.

lisa31

lisa31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your replies. I tried last know good configuration and it did not work, still stuck on loading screen. I also tried safe mode again and that doesnt work either, it will not even go to the loading screen on safe mode, just the black screen with all the text. I left it for 10 mins and still didnt do anything. Hope someone can help. its very frustrating at the min :)

thankyou