Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LinksysWRT610N bridge to 2wire1701H keeps dropping internet on dsl

• Please log in to reply

yooperjen

yooperjen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I'm new to the board. The 16 year old son convinced me that we "needed" a dual band simultaneous n router and that would help with Roku downloads from netflix, his xbox360 connection etc. It all sounded like a good idea??
Purchased a WRT610N Linksys router. We had a 2wire 1701 (I think) dsl/modem/router. Talked to AT&T and the guy gave me the instructions to make it a bridge to the Linksys router, so the 2wire is no longer a router.

Here is the problem. I can connect the laptop to the wireless linksys and have everything connect to the internet, but what seems to be happening is that if I try the Roku player and start a download, all of a sudden, the internet gets dropped. Though the wireless connection on the laptop says it is connected. If I power down the 2wire and then back up, I will get the internet back online. I also notice that my internet connection speed is flucuating much more than when it was straight through the 2wire as a modem/router.

Are there any other things I can do to improve the stability of the internet connection with the 2wire? I have moved the linksys further away from the 2wire in case that might have had something to do with it. I will also say that while I can go to the linksys router online and see/change the settings, I can no longer get to the 2wire by typing in the IP address. I guess I would have to hook an ethernet up to it to change any settings back.

So any help is appreciated. On another note, as I have worked with this, I don't think it will help the internet in regards to the xbox 360 since the 360 doesn't have a wireless n adapter, I also suspect that the Roku player doesn't have N capabilities either, since it only wants to grab the 2.4hz connection. So I will just be happy with it not dropping the internet all the time.

Advertisements