Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pressed save by mistake

• Please log in to reply

Bram

Bram

• Pip
  • 1 posts
While working in microsoft word a blank screen apeared and by mistake I clicked on save. Can I retrive my previously saved work.

Advertisements

NOC

NOC

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, I have experience in digital data recovery and computer forensics and I can tell you that normally when you save over a document (the primary one), it's usually unrecoverable. However, I know (depending on you Word program version, how long you were working on it, and if auto-save is on) Microsoft word saves different versions of your work in different places that you don't know about. These .bak files are usually hidden in obscure folders. It’s been a while, but on the off chance that you haven't touched your work until you received an answer, all you have to do is hit your undo button and your go back a couple of steps. It doesn't matter if you saved over the document. However, if you shut the program down those step marks you made creating the .doc are gone.

you could also try looking in the designated AutoSave location. Make sure you make all of the folder "unhidden". The path name should be:

C:/documents and settings/owner/application data/Microsoft/word

If you haven’t cleaned your computer of old files lately, there’s a chance that a version of your old file is still in there (again, depending on how long you worked on it and you Auto-Save)

Hope this helps,
NOC