Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP problems with external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

peter762033

peter762033

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i recently bought a western digital 1tb external harddrive. Now when i plug the hard drive in windows recognises it and begins the automatic hardware installation, the problem is that it doesnt install the hardware i get a message saying this hardware cannot be installed. Also in the device manager it says i have a code 28 error, and when i try the update drivers button i get the same 'cannot install hardware' message. And in the safely remove hardware area there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the drive. Now this is the weird bit, i can actually access the drive in my computer and put files on it and it works even though im getting these error messages. I have tried the drive on a computer with vista and it installs everything fine and works. Obviously i want to find a way to get it to install properly because everytime i turn the drive on i have to go through the install process and see it fail and get the error message. Has anybody else here had a similar problem? Hope somebody can help,

thanks!

Advertisements

peter762033

peter762033

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anybody have any ideas? Would you say this problem was linked to the drive or XP itself? Wondering weather to return the drive and try another, but id rather fix it that have to send it back...

thanks