Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Message "IE cannot display the webpage"

• Please log in to reply

NORTHCOAST

NORTHCOAST

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Have Windows XP & Norton Internet Security. I've had this problem for about a week. I am surfing the web and click on a new site and it takes forever to load. Then I get a message box that says that Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage. There's a button to diagnose the problem. I click it and after a minute it says "Connectivity has been Fully Restored". This happens over and over again. At one point I got a message that said "Not able to make a successful connection to FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that a firewall client running on your machine is blocking the necessary FTP ports. So I contacted Norton because I have Norton Internet Security. After a very frustrating chat where I lost connectivity about 5 times they told me to uninstall NIS and surf around to see if I get the same problem. I uninstalled NIS and didn't notice the problem. They then had me download NIS 2010. But I STILL have the problem. So I turned off the Norton firewall and turned on the Windows firewall thinking it has to be a firewall issue. Still having the problem. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It clearly looks like Norton problem.
Uninstall Norton completely, using Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039
Turn Windows firewall on.
See, if same thing happens.

NORTHCOAST

NORTHCOAST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I had Norton customer service take all of Norton Internet Security off my computer. Still happening. So tonight I had my cable company here. Gave me a second new modem cuz the first one seemed like it wasn't working right. He also thought maybe it was NIC problem but then ran some test and said it was fine. He also tinkered with my cable line coming into my condo. All seemed fixed. I could surf and thought it was solved. But after he left it started happening again. When the cable guy was here he shut off my start-up things and it went a long while without losing connectivity. Could it be something in the start-up that's causing this? Any other suggestions? My cable guy said it is not Norton because it is off my computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

NORTHCOAST

NORTHCOAST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I went out of town for a few days and turned off my computer, knowing the issue still hasn't been resolved and was going to be waiting for me when I got home. But when I came back it seems like the problem has gone away. No dropped connectivity every 10 minutes or so. Everything seems fine. I did download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware today and run a full scan (ooops, didn't read the instructions close enough, said to run a quick scan). But here's what came of it (see below). Could these infections have been causing my problem of lost connectivity? I'm a newbie and don't understand these logs at all. I run Ad-Aware & Spybot every week or so and just ran Spybot the other day and it came up clean. Seems this Malwarebytes picked up some things they missed. I appreciate your help! Thank you very much for any feedback.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3206
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/21/2009 2:21:41 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-21 (14-21-41).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|J:\|)
Objects scanned: 203664
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 58 minute(s), 48 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\didduid.ini (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Wrong forum.
Please, re-read my reply.