Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I was wondering how much of a difference RAM is going to have when I add it in two weeks?

I currently have 128MB of RAM, and soon I will have 512MB of RAM.

I did some research before I decided to purchase this RAM, and I found on various websites that buying extra RAM is not only the cheapest way to speed up your computer, but the most efficient.

I also read all of the benefits of extra RAM, and I was stunned at how much benefits there actually are.

I would just like to know if this is really going to help my computer because it is terribly slow, and I think this is a great way to start upgrading it.

I hope it speeds up multi-tasking, and startup time, and shut down time, because it takes at least 2 minutes for both, and its ridiculous.

I also hope that it speeds up web page loading, which I heard it would.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated, thank you. :tazz:

Advertisements

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
IT will definitely help a lot. But you might be expecting too much. You may want to do some research on; disabling unecessary services, using MSCONFIG to decrease the number of startup programs, updating the OS with any critical update, A/V and spyware scans. Doing all that will increase boot, shutdown and multi-tasking.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

IT will definitely help a lot. But you might be expecting too much. You may want to do some research on; disabling unecessary services, using MSCONFIG to decrease the number of startup programs, updating the OS with any critical update, A/V and spyware scans. Doing all that will increase boot, shutdown and multi-tasking.

View Post

Thank you so much, but how would I go about updating the OS? and also the MSCONFIG?

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
You can go to this web page to learn about MSCONFIG, http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

To update your OS, you do a windows update

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

You can go to this web page to learn about MSCONFIG,  http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

To update your OS, you do a windows update

View Post

Everytime I try to access windows update I get this error message, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer. If you believe you have received this message in error, please check with your system administrator.