Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfer clen ups through pen drive

• Please log in to reply

jigilypuff

jigilypuff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend wants his hard drive deleting but doesnt know how to, i was wonderin could i download a hard drive cleaner and save it to a pen drive then load it on his computer. Would that work?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You will not be able to purge the hard drive if it is also the boot drive. So you would need to boot from another disk or from the Pen drive first - which means the Pen drive would have to be set up as a bootable drive before hand.

You can also boot to a bootable CD then purge the disk, but a badguy could still easily retrieve the data as it is not overwritten, the space is simply marked as available. The best bet would be to install that drive in an enclosure attached to another computer, or installed in the other computer as a secondary drive (not boot drive), then run a "wipe" program it, such as Eraser. This program writes a series of 1s and 0s in every sector of the disk, effectively overwriting any data previously stored on it. I recommend this procedure for anyone getting rid of a hard drive that previously stored personal data on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How about something like Dban Digerati?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The Heidi Eraser uses DBAN technologies but with a GUI front end. Most find that easier.

http://www.dban.org/download (see the complementary products section)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look like a great little program.
May have to download it just to have in my arsenal of programs. :) :)