Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

vision2k

vision2k

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 2 250 sata drives and the c drive has become not recognized. I was able to install windows xp on the d Drive and the c drive was

recognized but it only boots into a blue screen.

How can I access the c drive to run the removal protocal.

Need to get the information off of the c drive so I can format the C drive and start over.

Thanks for ANY HELP

RJC :)

Edited by vision2k, 12 November 2009 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I recently fixed a similar problem with a SATA drive by downloading and running the drive manufacturer's test program. In my case it was a 140G Western Digital drive. There was first a quick test which it passed without errors in a few minutes. The extended test, however, ran for 17 hours then admitted there were some problems and asked if I would like it to try and fix them. I said yes and it did something and suddenly I could see the drive again. I pulled the data off the drive and replaced it since I don't trust it not to fail again.

If that hadn't worked I was going to try and see if MBRfix would help.

http://www.sysint.no...36/Default.aspx

I've read some good things about it.

Ron

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Someone sent me a link suggesting that it might be useful for your problem.

http://blogs.techrep...-windows/?p=622

It may indeed be helpful if the drive is halfway working.

Ron

vision2k

vision2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Ron

I am running XP

Downloaded Spormau Power Suite 2009 and am working through the recovery process. I can see the files on the bad drive but have not been able to copy them to an external Drive. Frustrating since I have been down for 7 days and am about ready to take it into the shop and expect the big bill.

Ronald

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I'm not familiar with the software you are talking about but if you can find or borrow an XP CD you can install windows to a different folder say Windows1 and then boot and get the files. As long as you don't let it mess with the existing partitions your data should be OK. You could probably also use Vista as per the link I gave you and let it install in a different folder.

You may have a permission problem. Rightclick on the file or folder and select Properties and then Security and take ownership of the file or folder.

Did you have Windows run a disk check on the bad disk? My Computer then right click on the C:\ and select Properties then Tools then Disk Error Check . Check both boxes then OK. It may want to wait until the next boot. Tell it OK.

Ron