Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61
I now have on the desktop a folder called "memtest86" with a strange vertical thing running from top to bottom on its left hand side.What to do now?
As you can tell I just do not download things so I get baffled when I see something new or stange.

With best regards,

Dave.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it look like a zipper?
If so click on it and then have it extract the files out and probably should have them go to your desktop. Then get the iso burning software and find the now extracted ISO you just unzipped. This will burn the cd and make it bootable/// do not burn it as data or it will not work. It has to be burned as a image cd or iso.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Single click did nothing so I double clicked and a window headed Memtest86=-2.11.iso appeared. In the window I see a square icon with NTI at the top and a picture at the bottom of the icon showing a disc.On the left in a seperate panel it says "Folder tasks" and underneath it says "Extract all files" with an image just like the one on the desk top and yes I can now see that it loks like a zip fastener.
Should I click on the "Extract all files" message?
Sorry if this semms a bit pedestrian but I am never sure what to do next or what the consequences will be.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes click on that... when asked where to extract to have it extract to your desktop. This will make it easier to find.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I did as you said and a thing came up called Windows extraction wizard .It said chose a destination and there was a browse button so I clicked on that and then selected Desktop Then a small box came up saying"this folder already exists (does it? and how was I supposed to know that?) and conains a file named "memtest86+-2.11iso.Would you like to replace the existing file? Underneath are 4 choices YES YES TO ALL NO CANCEL.Don't the people who create this stuff realize that most people and I am one of them are just baffled by these messages.What do I do next?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I know why. If you are looking at the window i think you are there should be a way to save it to a folder on your desktop. In the destination line it should say something about Desktop
What I need you to do is add this to the end of that \ISO or /ISO depending on which way the other slashes are going.. This will put it in a folder on your desktop and then everything should be ok.
Cancel where you are and redo it, before it gets to this point you should be able to make the change i just mentioned.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I did like you said and now on the desktop I have a folder called ISO.But clicking on it brings up a window with this icon which have I already on the desktop,called NTI and underneath it says "memtest86".
So I now have 3 new items on the desktop- 1 folder with zip symbol on it and "memtest86" underneath,
2-Icon called NTI also with "memtest86" underneath,
3 folder with ISO underneath.
I have just been told by my wife that the thing that says NTI is the name of the programme that came with this laptop that enables burning CD's and DVD'S.I clicked on item 2 above and the NTI programme opened up,the CD/DVD draw on the side of the laptop opened up and a message came up telling me to insert a blank disc.What should I do next?
Got to give up till tomorrow as we have an early start in the morning.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please take a screenshot. If you have the image burning software then when you click on the folder it should open and you should only see one file in the folder then.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
rshaffer61..heads up...I just had another OP with the same problem getting puppy linux at the old link...
this is the new link to get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
http://distro.ibibli...ons/puppylinux/
you will have to update your/our canned...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Upgrading now and thank you for the update.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I just sent a screen shot to you but I think that I have made a mess of doing it, so here it is again.

With best regards,

Dave.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen_shot.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now open the Image software you downloaded and then go to the ISO folder on your desktop. When you look inside using the image software you should only see the ISO file you need.
Click on that and then start the burning process.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
After reading through the help file on disc burner that came with this laptop it seems that it will burn an ISO type.So I clicked on the NTI Icon with "memtest" beneath it. The NTI software burning window opened and there is the item that you want to make into a disc. It's easy,the programme seems to recognise the file type and told me to insert a blank disc,which I did.Up came a box which I did not understand saying some thing about burn speed and buffer over run.I just left it at the default settings and clicked "Burn now" button.About 1 minute of whirring with little blue squares running across and up came a message saying complete and the side draw with the disc in opened up.
I just had the computer running for about 15 minutes but it froze again so I pushed the reset to turn it off.
So I have now got (I hope)a working diagnostic disc.
How do I set about using it? Obviously the computer must be turned on but it will load Windows.Should I let it do this and open the CD draw and put in the CD.I ask this because you sid that the test operated outside the Windows enviroment.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to gointo the bios and set the boot sequence so that the cdrom is the first boot device. When you do this make sure the newly created disk you just made is in the cdrom when the system reboots at the end of this.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
On my computer at the start it tells me to press F2 to enter BIOS and so I did that and up came a screen headed BIOS SETUP UTILITY with Advanced along the top row and so using arrow keys I moved to Advanced. However it is headed Configure advanced CPU settings. I can't see boot sequence or boot options.It says Esc to exit but pressings that does nothing.Just above that it says F10 to save and exit.I have not made any changes.What should I do?

With best regards,

Dave.