Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello RSHAFFER61.
I did as you instructed and here is the result.
I hope that I have uploaded the file correctly but cannot see it in this box.
Got this message,

Upload successful and is available from the 'Manage Current Attachments' menu

With best regards,

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything in Device Manager seems to be working correctly. Is the system itself freezing or is it just the mouse?
Have you tried a different mouse and a different type of mouse like a PS2 mouse to see if that is the problem?

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello again SHAFFER61,
I have a laser mouse and a spare and both work now when plugged into a USB port.
Prior to this they did not work but since my computer came back on again, in the unfrozen state this morning, they both work fine.
I did buy a USB to PS2 converter and tried this when in the frozen state but with no sucess.
Since all of these problems began the computer has frozen many times on start up at various stages.Sometimes when the first screen appears offering me choice of selecting F2 BIOS,F8 SAFE MODE,BOOT DEVICE. Normally I just wait a few seconds and a second screem appears and it has lots of lines with numbers and letters on with at the end a flashing cursor,then I click escape and Windows begins to load.
Today it came on perfect.But this has happened before many times in the past week and eventually it will freeze again with the cursor stuck at screen centre.So far today it has run for 5 hours with no problem.
Avast anti virus was run but it found nothing except for two BIOS items which it says that it cannot scan.However it always throws up these two.If you think that they may be a clue I can copy them out in full for you to see.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sure post them if you can. Also I would like to do some scans and or fixes to see if the problem is hardware or software. Please do the following and let me know if it finds and fixes or doesn't fix anything.
This may fix the freezing issue also. If this doesn't work can you tell me if you have a Genuine microsoft XP installation disk or do you have a Recovery disk supplied by the manufacturer of your systen?
Is this a name brand system and if so what is the make and model of it?

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello again RSCHAFFER61.
I ran the check disk as you suggested and the machine then went quickly into loading the Windows program.I was watching the monitor at the end and a message came up but it was so quick that I did not have time to read it.All working well at present but it has done this before only to freeze up again, some times at next start up or perhaps after several startups and run sessions of several hours.

The items that Avast anti virus was unable to scan were,

C/Drivers\MCDBF\SOURCE1\...BIOSLOCK.PIF and C/Drivers\MCDBF\SOURCE1\...BIOSLOCK.EXE

My computer is a Packard Bell I XTREME GOLD 2106R
Memory 1 GB Processor Intel Pentium 4 Hard Drive 300 GB
Genuine Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005

The total restore is if needed to be run from a seperate partition on the hard drive.The handbook says that this can be put on a CD but after that it will not be available again and users are warned nor to do this.

I think I will just have to see how it runs over the next few days.
By the way the message on booting up that said something about check cable PXE E61 no longer appears.
It is now 8pm here in England and I am going to have my evening meal and to see if I have won a big prize on the national lottery (fat chance).

With best regards.

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
O.K. got your latest instructions but I have some questions
When I get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup ,will I have to click on this to see various entries Values on the right hand side or will they just be there? When I have found SourcePath will I have to click on it to see the entry pointing to my CD-ROM drive?
You say double click on SourcePatch,is this a typo and should it be SourcePath?
Sorry to be so fussy but this is all new teritory for me and I just want to do it right first time with no screw ups.
The instructions that came with the computer recommend users not to burn a Windows recovery disc.Do you think I would do best to make a disc as option one seems more simple and comprehensive. If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors will I be prompted to insert the disc?Does the disc auto run?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Typo
yes you will have to click on the left side entry
If SFC finds errors it will prompt for the disk if you use the first method. We always try to use this method and if it finds errors then you will need to do the second one since you have no disk.
If it doesn't find errors it will finish on it's own.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
All was going well with my desktop P.C. and I was in the middle of sending a reply to you when it froze again.After several restarts I got to the desktop but mouse stuck in screen centre again.Tapping the computer case sometimes did get it to various stages in the Windows loading but now I can get nowhere just a black screen.I know that hitting thngs to get them to work is bad practice but I only tapped gently.
Could all of these problems be caused by a poor connection internally?
I was going to burn a Windows recovery disc and go down the first route which you gave but now I cannot do this as I have lost the abilty to get the machine to do any thing except to turn on.
Have had to use the laptop to send this to you.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I did not see anywhere where you say if this is a laptop or desktop.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
Thanks for fast reply.
The freezing problems and other problems have all been on my desktop PC.
Because the desktop PC cannot now once again be used to conntact you I am having to use my laptop computer.
I expressed myself badly in my last message.

With best regards,

Dave

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I take it the system is not under warranty.
Try opening it up and check all the connections for the motherboard from the hard drives. there is a chance the issue may all be caused by a faulty ribbon or controller.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
No the machine is not under warranty.
I will open it up and check the conections as you suggest.Iknow that I will need to put an earthing strap onto my wrist.Do you know of a web site that will show in photographs what I will see and what to look for and how to go about the process? I've not done this before but there is always a first time for everything and I am willing to try and learn.I do know a a trustworthy person who lives about 10 miles away who has opened many computers and who would find this easy,so if I faill I will contact them.I will come back to you to let you know how I get on.

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you open system just touch the unpainted part of the case before reaching into it.
What you are looking for is the ribbons going from the hard drives to the motherboard. Make sure they are seated correctly with no cracks or splits on them.
Also check for dust bunnies and blow out with a can of compressed air.
Try also reseating the memory

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rschaffer61,
Thanks for advice I think I will go to the local library and if that fails a big book store in the local shopping mall to get a book that shows what the interior of a computer looks like.Then I will be able to identify the components which you have mentioned.The camera shop in the mall sells cans of compessed air for dedusting and I will get one of these.

With best regards,

Dave.