Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU & Memory Compatibility issue

• Please log in to reply

chrysler12

chrysler12

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have this current setup:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz 1333
Memory - GSkill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-SDRAM 1066 (PC2-8500)
Mobo - AsRock P45XE
VGA - EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
OS - Windows 7 32 bit

I assembled this system back in July and since then I haven't been fully successful with it. The main issue was, getting a BSOD (Machine_Check_Exception) whenever I run 3D games or watch a movie or even sometimes just randomly crashes. My friend and I did all sorts of troubleshooting which includes testing a specific component to find out which hardware is failing. None of these methods actually solved my problem.

Recently, my friend lend me a different model of CPU, namely a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz 1066. Guess what? The system has been working perfectly fine. I was able to run games, watch movies, etc. and I still haven't had any crashes up to date.

With that being said, we thought that the CPU that I originally have (E8400) is the one that is causing the system to crash, so I RMA that CPU. Intel sent me a new E8400 yesterday and installed it. Guess what again? My system started crashing again with a blue screen error.

So, what's going on here exactly? I've got a new CPU already and it's still not working correctly... but it works with a different older CPU. Is there any compatibility issue goin on here? Particularly, with the FSB of the E8400 being 1333 while the memory I have on is only 1066? A friend also suggested that I should configure the timings in my BIOS to the actual setting of my memory.

Please help out... I wanna make use of the E8400 that I own. (The E6600 is not mine...)

Advertisements