Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU question

• Please log in to reply

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah........ But you see i have tried a lot of other stuff (including keyboard combos) and it has turned on randomly.... I have reinserted everything. And i still dont get the problem (its like a cursed computer)

Advertisements

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah........ But you see i have tried a lot of other stuff (including keyboard combos) and it has turned on randomly.... I have reinserted everything. And i still dont get the problem (its like a cursed computer)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It needs to be taken in and have a Laptop Tech taken in. Since it restarts as you said then it would suggest maybe a loose connection or a possible broken solder point.
It could be a faulty HD.
It is just so hard to diagnose the problem. Without being able to get the system to at least post we can't run any diagnostic software to find the problem.

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes i am aware of that. I was thinking of buying a POST card like this one

http://cgi.ebay.ca/N...=item3351feabfc

It could go throgh the post code and tell me what the problem is and if its a power supply problem.
The HD is faulty but it should have no effect on the system, right?

As for the fact that it could be a faulty connection, slim to none.
Reson: It has started up normly and randomly in the past. Basicly i was figiting with it one day, i turned it on and it didn't restart itself. OMG! it works! I saw the acer screen but it all whent away qickly....

Sad story huh...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without the hd the system would still post.
According to everything we have done the system never even posts but just restarts correct?
I would hate to tell you to spend money on something that may not be able to help you since the system doesn't even get to the first post screen.
That means it really isn't even getting thru the bios reading before it restarts.

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well not the first screen but the very first stage... It checks (with a black screen) everything the computer needs to operate. The first screen of post actuly tests all the driver letters and stuff like that...

POST is not a part from BIOS. In fact it has no relationship with BIOS. Exept for the fact that after the first stage of POST is over It automaticly launches BIOS.

So in scientificly proven theory, the POST card should work anyway...

However the thing im worried about is the fact that the USB voltage keeps on going up and down all the time, and it could do damage to the board...

Edited by vlad42, 15 November 2009 - 06:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

However the thing im worried about is the fact that the USB voltage keeps on going up and down all the time, and it could do damage to the board.

This is why I'm saying the continued starting and restarting may end up rendering the system useless. I can not tell you not to buy the card and to not continue with your direction. I will tell you with what I have seen and the symptoms you have described... your system is heading toward a total crash and burn.
I have never used the post card you link to so I don't know how accurate they are or if they really are dependable on what they state they can do.
I can say that a good set of eyes on the system and hands on diagnostics will do more then what the advice I can give.
My one suggestion is that you make sure the shop knows NOT TO FORMAT your hd without backing up your data. This will normally cost extra as they usually will not backup customers data.
I understand this is frustrating and if you would like i can have a second Tech Staff member look this topic over and let you know what they think.
I am here to do what I can to make sure you are ok with what we advise. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. :) :)

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well i figured what the problem was... Sorta
it was a glitch. In the video card. You see the videocard had a plastic pannel on top and when it overheated it came closer and closer to the circuits. Finnaly it made contact and made the videocard useless. All i had to do is take off the panel and clean everything with commpressed air........ However for anyone out there who is using this post as an anwser to their question DONT! The problem may be different than mine!

But it didn't last for long. it shortly died......
Im iether gonna buy a boneless laptop and modify it untill it will never break. or i will finaly buy the post card to hopefully fix this laptop and other computers that might break in the future..

Edited by vlad42, 15 November 2009 - 07:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once the laptop overheats to that measure it is usually beyond repair. Unlike a desktop unit the video in a laptop cannot be replaced so easy or by adding a card.
Sorry but it seems the option at this point is to take the hd out and get a external enclosure for a 2.5 inch drive.
Then when and if you can get to a desktop system you can at least backup your important data.

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The HD is far beyond repair.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry to hear that. If the drive was working then you could use a Linux live cd to backup the data but if it is non working then the only option is a expensive data recovery company or a paperweight. :)