Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with sound

• Please log in to reply

boscru6469

boscru6469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook C-6631. I have reformatted and done a clean install ox XP Pro. I cannot get the sound working. Device manager shows it as "Intel AC"97 Audio Controller" with a yellow exclamation point. Under those properties Device Status shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10). I do not have the original install disks. I check the Fujitsu site and they have the sound listed as Yamaha AC97. I have tried every download I could find for both and reinstalled XP 3 times and stellcan't get audio. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you download and install C6581,6591,6611,6631,7631_AUDIO_WINXP-PRO.exe audio driver from here: http://support.fujit...?srch=DOWNLOADS

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes. I tried every audio driver on that page.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How old is that thing?
What was the original reason for reformat?

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Don't know how old it is. It belongs to a neighbor. He had XP logon password protected and couldn't remember the password

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I can see on Fujitsu site, they have drivers for Win 98 available for your laptop, so it may be pretty old.
I suspect, sound chip may be dead.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Don't think it's worth changing motherboards.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't think so, either.
Did you try headphones?

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No I didn't. I will have to look around for a set and try that.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried a headset with both a sample song in windows ans a CD and got a message about a problem with the sound.

Sphinx.

Sphinx.

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook C-6631. I have reformatted and done a clean install ox XP Pro. I cannot get the sound working. Device manager shows it as "Intel AC"97 Audio Controller" with a yellow exclamation point. Under those properties Device Status shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10). I do not have the original install disks. I check the Fujitsu site and they have the sound listed as Yamaha AC97. I have tried every download I could find for both and reinstalled XP 3 times and stellcan't get audio. Any ideas?

Did you download and install C6581,6591,6611,6631,7631_AUDIO_WINXP-PRO.exe audio driver from here: http://support.fujit...?srch=DOWNLOADS

Did it have sound before you wiped it?

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I don't know. It is my neighbor's and he forgot what his XP password was and asked if I could reinstall XP for him.