Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with (down)loading

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK at this point i believe your problem is the adapter in your system.
Since this seems to be a built on network adapter then your choice is to purchase a new network card or -b=Nic[/b] as they are sometimes called.
Go HERE and you can see the differences in the cards. I myself would suggest either getting a D-Link, Netgear or a Linksys card. Look around the 20 to 30 dollar range for a good card.
This would mean you would have to open your system to install the card but that should be no problem for you now that we have turned you into a professional at this. :) :) :)
I will assist you with this also.

Advertisements

butterflybabie

butterflybabie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Haha, noted :) Before I go and buy a new network card I have one more question. Is it possible that router is set to a certain speed and since they increased it it's not working properly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible but they should have done all the upgrading from their end since in most cases they supply the router for their service. Everyhting is done through software updates from them so if they have done what they say they have done then everything is setup correctly through them.

butterflybabie

butterflybabie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Actually, router wasn't supplied from their side. Does that change anything?

Btw, HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well I don't honestly think it is a router problem as i stated. I think it is more your nic card that is the bottleneck here.
When they test the system they test from them to your router. If all speeds are working and signal strength comes back good then the problem is from the router to your system. At this point we know your system is working and the router is working. So the option at this point is a failing nic or network card and or a faulty network cable.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family also. :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 January 2010 - 08:15 AM.

butterflybabie

butterflybabie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
So I was browsing online for network cards and I think I found the one. Is Linksys EG1032 ok?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good card, seems to have had some problems a year ago but that looks to have been corrected now.
XP should be no problem installing it on as the disk that comes with it should have the drivers already on it.
I like linksys cards also.

butterflybabie

butterflybabie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Finally, my network card arrived, so please tell me what to do next :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now you will need to open your desktop up. Usually looking from the front of the system it would be the left side panel.
Once done then you should see some white slots and this is where you will install the new card in to.