Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor and etc

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi, recently I've been thinking on upgrading my processor so I can watch HD video well and fast loading on multitask.
This is my current system spec:
-Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200
-80gb hard drive 7200rpm EIDE
-OCZ 2GB DDR2 667mhz
-PNY 9400 GT 512mb
-460 watts PSU

So my question is how much difference would I get if I replace my E2200 with E8200. I already paid and ordered it online. Then I tried to google a thread of E2200 vs E8200, the conversation in the thread says that there wouldn't have a big difference....so I'm a bit disappointed that I wasted my hundred dollars money on a processor that is about the same as I'm using now. I hope that thread is false!
I'm also going to order 9800 GT and 750gb hard drive.

Is my upgrade worth it?

Edited by Axelion, 15 November 2009 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

So my question is how much difference would I get if I replace my E2200 with E8200. I already paid and ordered it online. Then I tried to google a thread of E2200 vs E8200, the conversation in the thread says that there wouldn't have a big difference....so I'm a bit disappointed that I wasted my hundred dollars money on a processor that is about the same as I'm using now. I hope that thread is false!
I'm also going to order 9800 GT and 750gb hard drive.

Is my upgrade worth it?

Processor upgrade on its own from what you have is newer technology and runs better but you're still putting it in the same board that's a few years old. Plus it'd make absolutely no difference with regards to HD video and multi-tasking. You have a mid to low end graphics card and an IDE hard drive (new SATA drives are a lot faster). Effectively to get the most use out of the E8200 you should consider upgrading the rest of the hardware with it. Putting an E8200 in to replace the E2200 is akin to sticking a Ferrari engine inside a British Mini. The 9800GT and SATA hard drive is also a good idea.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 November 2009 - 04:32 PM.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Yeah, I bought this board and processor on late spring last year for $70. You're right that this board is old. The maximum supported processor is intel core 2 duo 1333mhz. Also the memory can't go beyond 667mhz.

I lost a bidding for 9800 GT on ebay which is sucks =(
For Hard Drive, I bought this one, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136319
The space is adequate for me =)

I have another question. I heard that E8200 is 64bit processor. My current OS is 32bit so does it have an impact on my computer performance?

Edited by Axelion, 16 November 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No, it will work perfectly fine with a 32-bit OS. :)

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thank you for the reply. Tomorrow I will receive my new HD (I thought it was today...slow UPS)
On the hard drive clone program you've listed "Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, Drive Image XML"
Which one is the most stable and user-friendly?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Most stable? That depends on the condition of your current hard drive, all will do the job. Norton and Acronis are paid programs, Drive Image XML is free. I would vote Acronis as the most "user friendly" but if you can work your way around Drive Image XML then obviously you can save the $$$.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks. As the new owner of Western Digital Hard Drive, I'm able to get Acronis True Image WD Edition from Western Digital website for free.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Actually that's true, I didn't think about that. :)