Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Western Digital WD400BB Internal HD

• Please log in to reply

amstuart

amstuart

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

My friend has a Gateway desktop running Win XP Home Edition. I was troubleshooting "slow performance" after scanning for malware. I noticed that dskchk was taking forever, so I installed Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics software and there is immediate FAILURE of Raw Read Error Rate and Multi Zone Error Rate.
No clicking of the drive at all, and the computer works fine, albeit at a slow rate.
I defragged without any issues. I know internal HD's are inexpensive, but before I suggest backing up files and purchasing a new HD, is this HD on its last leg or is it possible to "repair" the above FAILURES?

Thank you.

Adam

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Replace the drive, any other fixes will only be temporary and Murphy's Law says the entire drive will go belly up at the worst possible opportunity if you do not replace it now.