Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Keeps Going Black Or Going To Sleep!

• Please log in to reply

EldonM

EldonM

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well it isn't a huge thing, but it has become very annoying. I will be watching a movie, playing or game, or just doing nothing and my monitor will suddenly turn black. The only way I have been able to correct it is by turning the monitor on and off. The monitor is still on and I think data is still being sent cause I can still here the sound and I can still do stuff (even though I can see what I am doing lol). Sometime it was happen at all, sometimes every few hours, and sometimes every half hour. It's completely random. My power settings is on complete performance so sleep has been turned off and all that other stuff. I don't know what to do. Google didn't cut it this time so I am going to you.

Things I have tried were disk check hardware check re-installing directx, nvidia, and most drivers I believed relevant to the problem.

Here are my specs

Processor
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 4.9
Memory (RAM)
-3.00 GB 5.0
Graphics Windows Aero
-NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 3.7
Gaming graphics
-1535 MB Total available graphics memory 4.6
Primary hard disk
-38GB Free (139GB Total) 5.6

The graphics card is fairly new (less then 5-6 months), and the monitor is a 19" Polaroid LCD HDTV wide screen monitor.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a different monitor to see if the problem is the system or the monitor?
That would be the first step to try and then we would know which direction to take. :) :)

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ehh unfortunately I don't have access to a different monitor at the time. The monitor was made last year and I have owned it myself for only like 4 months.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would tell us a lot if you could just borrow one for a hour to try.

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok ill be back then

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay, I tried it with a dell CRT monitor and the same thing was still happening.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like the video card or video chip on the MOBO is going out.

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well that sucks since the card is like only 6months old

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask does the MOBO have a built on video?
If so you can take out the video card and try the built on to see if the problem still happens.

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
it does have a built in graphics i can check.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great let me know how it goes. This should tell us if the video card itself is the culprit.