Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The big question to ask here is what resolution you even game at? Ferrari, you say that a 9600GT powers Crysis with all high settings, this normally wouldn't work for most setups. As far as a HD4870 over your current card, I don't think it's much of an upgrade at all. As far as brands go, XFX>Sapphire, simply because of warranty reasons. Sapphire is horrible to deal with for warranties and XFX will let you install a aftermarket cooler (watercooling included) and overclock without voiding your warranty. If you want a HD5xx0 GPU, I'd just wait. I live in Canada as well and ordered mine November 2nd, it still hasn't shipped and I know that many more people ordered before me, they are having yielding issues at the moment. Since you don't seem to be in a rush, I'd advise you wait till nVidia releases their new GPUs, but I suspect they'll release a paper launch, just as ATI has at this time.
James

Advertisements

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi!

Just thought to share my opinion since I'll be buying a video card soon.Right now best buy would be ATI 5850 performances are very nice better than Nvidia 285 and it has DX11, it's way less power hungry then ATI 5870 and right now ATI 5850 would be best choice but I'll be waiting for new Nvidia 300 series.New Nvidia should be out in Feb. next year I think and than we'll see comparision between ATI and Nvidia.
I was thinking of buying ATI 5850 but I change my mind and decide to wait a little longer for Nvidia.
Btw your card XFX Geforce 9800GTX is still good for playing all new games mostly on High details and some on Middle, overall you are able to play all new games without a problem.

I want to wait to, but I want to get a feel on what to get. I worry about my CPU not being able to keep up to a high end card.I have it OC to 3.4GHZ. I really do not know what I can get away with.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really wouldn't worry too much about a bottleneck at this point. If you were planning on SLI/CF new cards, then there seems to be some evidence of bottle necking, even with relatively recent high end CPUs.
James

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yes that's true James probable with Nvidia 285 and higher and ATI 5850 and higher.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

The big question to ask here is what resolution you even game at? Ferrari, you say that a 9600GT powers Crysis with all high settings, this normally wouldn't work for most setups. As far as a HD4870 over your current card, I don't think it's much of an upgrade at all. As far as brands go, XFX>Sapphire, simply because of warranty reasons. Sapphire is horrible to deal with for warranties and XFX will let you install a aftermarket cooler (watercooling included) and overclock without voiding your warranty. If you want a HD5xx0 GPU, I'd just wait. I live in Canada as well and ordered mine November 2nd, it still hasn't shipped and I know that many more people ordered before me, they are having yielding issues at the moment. Since you don't seem to be in a rush, I'd advise you wait till nVidia releases their new GPUs, but I suspect they'll release a paper launch, just as ATI has at this time.
James

Hanns.G Monitor 28". I usually keep it at the native setting of 1920x1200 if possible. Could you suggest something to check out at NCIX?

Edited by Bushisland, 23 November 2009 - 07:51 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
With your budget I'd opt for a HD5850, but I mean, I wouldn't expect to get one before the end of December as a best case scenario, 2010 would be likely. Backorders are HUGE for these cards and I'm expecting demand for the mid rang version (HD5850) to be much greater than the upper range versions (HD5870 and HD5970). Since you'd have to wait so long for one of these new cards, you might as well wait to see what nVidia has to offer. The only reason why I'm dead set on ATI at this point is eyefinity (I'll have three monitors), otherwise I would have waited for nVidia as well. In fact, I wanted my next card to be nVidia because of CUDA, but eyefinity turned that idea upside down.
James

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Bushisland,

Thanks, I appreciate that. I don't post as many videos as I was there for a while, been extremely busy with used computer sales (side business). I have about 15 or more videos that I want to do as of right now, but we'll see :)

Also, I heard about the those windows being damaged during shipping a lot too, I got mine from Newegg for like $30 and it was in perfect condition. But I cold see how it can be easily damaged considering how it is packaged.

The big question to ask here is what resolution you even game at? Ferrari, you say that a 9600GT powers Crysis with all high settings, this normally wouldn't work for most setups.

I game at 1920x1080 on a 23" HANNSPREE LCD, standard 5ms...60 refresh rate. I'm not a very hardcore gamer though... just want to make sure I throw that out there :) The 9600GT is really more for light video editing/ my motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

Being in used computer sales, you'd be surprised at what some of the "normal" people out their are using playing some of these games. Like I said earlier, enthusiasts can really go overboard on what you need vs. the little more you get paying for a $500 card or a $1500 system. I always try to take into account price vs. performance ratio. As a volunteer, I feel bad recommending the high end stuff knowing the OP probably has unreal expectations of what such a high dollar computer component will do for them.

With that said... I go overboard on what I like to have compared to what I need...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I game at 1920x1080 on a 23" HANNSPREE LCD, standard 5ms...60 refresh rate. I'm not a very hardcore gamer though... just want to make sure I throw that out there

You must be able to play with really low frame rates or you're not gaming at the native resolution..... I can't play Crysis on all high setting on my 1680x1050 monitor with all high settings on my 8800GS, which is a slightly more powerful card.
James

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

With your budget I'd opt for a HD5850, but I mean, I wouldn't expect to get one before the end of December as a best case scenario, 2010 would be likely. Backorders are HUGE for these cards and I'm expecting demand for the mid rang version (HD5850) to be much greater than the upper range versions (HD5870 and HD5970). Since you'd have to wait so long for one of these new cards, you might as well wait to see what nVidia has to offer. The only reason why I'm dead set on ATI at this point is eyefinity (I'll have three monitors), otherwise I would have waited for nVidia as well. In fact, I wanted my next card to be nVidia because of CUDA, but eyefinity turned that idea upside down.
James

James,
I can change my budget if its worth it. I was also thinking about going to a Q9650 or even a E8400 CPU on my present Board.(again if it's worth it) So, maybe I should be looking at a higher end card. But I will wait for both new card series to come out. :)

Edited by Bushisland, 24 November 2009 - 07:09 PM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Bushisland,

Thanks, I appreciate that. I don't post as many videos as I was there for a while, been extremely busy with used computer sales (side business). I have about 15 or more videos that I want to do as of right now, but we'll see :)

Also, I heard about the those windows being damaged during shipping a lot too, I got mine from Newegg for like $30 and it was in perfect condition. But I cold see how it can be easily damaged considering how it is packaged.

The big question to ask here is what resolution you even game at? Ferrari, you say that a 9600GT powers Crysis with all high settings, this normally wouldn't work for most setups.

I game at 1920x1080 on a 23" HANNSPREE LCD, standard 5ms...60 refresh rate. I'm not a very hardcore gamer though... just want to make sure I throw that out there :) The 9600GT is really more for light video editing/ my motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

Being in used computer sales, you'd be surprised at what some of the "normal" people out their are using playing some of these games. Like I said earlier, enthusiasts can really go overboard on what you need vs. the little more you get paying for a $500 card or a $1500 system. I always try to take into account price vs. performance ratio. As a volunteer, I feel bad recommending the high end stuff knowing the OP probably has unreal expectations of what such a high dollar computer component will do for them.

With that said... I go overboard on what I like to have compared to what I need...

Your Welcome.
I only use this setup for games and tinkering.(which sometimes gets me in trouble) I have another desktop for personal files and photos.

Advertisements

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Everyone keeps mentioning DX11 with the 5000 series ATI cards. Will new games be "unplayable" if you're still only have a DX10 card? The 4890 can be had for $200. NVIDAs response to the 4890 (or vice versa) is the GTX 275. Depending on the game, the 4890 actually trades blows with the GTX 280 as far as FPS and benchmarks go. The GTX 275 runs anywhere from $250-$300 compared to the 4890 which goes from about $190-$220... And the MSI cyclone 4890 has a $30 mail in rebate pulling it down to $169 on newegg. Thats what I'm going with anyway. (Well as soon as they're in stock)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Whether or not you want to gamble is up to the individual, but ultimately we all know that DX10 video cards (current nVidia cards and the ATI 4xx0 and lower generation) won't play DX11 for sure. Personally I'd rather take the gamble then buy something I know might work with the new API. Yeah, DX10 cards are for the most part cheaper at the moment, but the DX11 cards are performing better for the most part. So I mean, there is different ways to look about it and ultimately I think it's only the purchaser that can decided whats ultimately right for him. If you have the money I think its worth the gamble, simply because you're getting additional performance as it is with current generation games and I think it'll be a long time before DX11 exclusive titles are released. With console ports at the moment, I think DX(insert version) will be dead in a few years and we'll be moving to openGL/AL/CL. We have yet to actually grasp DX10 and now we are already onto a new version.
James

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Its "The Man's" way of holding the little guy down. Keep coming out with new "technologies" such as a new DX #, cuda, physx, ect... so we'll have to keep shelling out $500 for the latest and greatest parts. This why there's no such thing as "future proofing" your PC. Its big racketeering scheme by the evil computer corperations... :-p I mean really, whats the physical difference and cost of production increase between an FX 5600 and a GTX 295? Well probably a lot for those cards, but a GTX 260 vs a GTX 295... It costs the companies a few extra bucks to add a few extra transistors and pass the buck to the customer 100 fold... This is why in less than 2 years your $500 video cards will be about $130. and they'll STILL be making a profit. Of couse by then another $500 card will be out and we'll be on DX 20 and CPUs with 16 core processors :-p

Just having some fun. Cheers!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
When factoring in the cost of production, you have to factor in research, not just the cost of raw materials and manufacturing :)
James