Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Installation - Setup doesn't show C: \Windows...

• Please log in to reply

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Jerry,

Oh no; I didn't mean to insinuate that at all. I am pleased to be able to offer any help at all to you. It's just that 123Runner probably does not need any help from me in solving your problems. :)

As for the permissions reset, it definitely makes sense to wait until you're clean.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 19 November 2009 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
othersteve

Stick around because we do not know it all. We gain experiance from helping each other.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Thanks 123Runner, I'll hang out and see if my input is needed. :)

~os

Jerry23

Jerry23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi 123runner, Othersteve,

Well, I am back. I don't know how much you have been following my thread on the other board, But Emerald has pretty much given me a clean bill of health, from an infection standpoint.

Some of my problems have gone away. I still have problems with my IE shutting down. My IE got very slow for a while, but it seems to be running pretty 'normal' today.

My objective is to get rid of that problem & update to XP sp3+ & IE 8. But don't forget, the last time I tried that, my computer was a disaster. I do NOT want to get into that situation again.

See below for a description of the problems.

>>>>>>>>
That is my objective - to get my computer in a condition that I can successfully update to sp3 & IE 8.

I tried that on 11/11/09, after a Win repair procedure. When I updated to sp3 + [but before I updated to IE 8] it caused all kinds of major problems. IE was VERY unstable, windows flop around, hard to close windows. Almost looked like a virus. Tried to run Malwarebytes - got an Err Msg:vb Accellerator sgrid 11 control X- Runtime Error '0'. Hit OK - Malwarebytes runtime error '440'/automation error. Tried to uninstall Malwarebytes - many runtime errors. Tried to open IE window - IE has encountered a problem - needs to close. Start > Windows Update - Err - IE has encountered a problem - needs to close.

Had to do a system restore - to the point where I first did the system repair. Got the same application error on the first boot, that I got when I did the system repair. OFVISEX caused an access violation in ntdll.dll st 0x7c9116e. Clk close to terminate the application.

Here is some more info.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-t258890.html

I don't want to take a chance on repeating the same problem scenario as I got into the first time I updated to sp3.
<<<<<<<<

Here is another quote that describes a problem I am having.>>

>>>>>>>>
Well after a pretty successful day, it is ending on a sour note. I was in the process of shutting down for the day, when I got the Err Msg: IE has encountered a problem with an add-on & needs to close. File: Flash10c.exe, Adobe Flash Player. This seems to happen every 2-3 days. I had to do a hard turn-off after this. That does not happen very often.

This occurred in a pattern I mentioned before. It happened after a long day of heavy usage, followed by a period of sitting idle [~ 2 hrs], and after running a full scan. It has not been unusual for my computer to get unstable at the end of the day, following the pattern outlined above. This has been happening for many months now.

Can you think of any reasons for this. Is it common for a computer to get unstable after such conditions? Is there anything I can do to correct this?

By the way, after I got the above ERR, I used Add/Remove to remove Adobe Flash 10 & then reinstalled it. Hope that helps.
<<<<<<<<

Here is what happened when I tried the Msft repair procedure for IE6. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

>>>>>>>>
Thanks for the input. IE seemed to be running more like normal this morning. But then it gave me the "needs to close' Err - not tied to the Adobe add on.

I tried the Msft repair procedure you gave me. I ran the sfc file check first - no feedback. Then I ran the install IE file procedure. It keeps stopping & giving me Err Msg - Set Up cannot find file 'XXXX'. Asks me for the location. I search for the loc & manually type it in. Then it runs for a short while & asks me for another file loc. I did that a few times & stopped - don't know how many file locs it will ask for. Very time comsuming.
<<<<<<<<

Here is another problem I am having with IE

>>>>>>>>
When I rt click on a web pg, I should get print preview as an option - and the option to resize the page by x%. I still am not getting this - and this is important to me in a few things I do on a regular basis.
<<<<<<<<

Remember this from my first post here? I have no way of knowing if this problem is still there. I am afraid to go there & check it out. I may screw up again.

>>>>>>>>
Today I tried to run another Windows repair procedure, using the procedure you have posted on this site. When I got to the screen that shows your existing Windows XP installations, the C:\windows installation was not shown. I showed my M:\ Windows installation. This was the backup I copied when I first bought my computer. It is only to the sp1 level. My Win XP cd is to the sp 2 level.
<<<<<<<<

Well, hopefully this is enough to get us started. Looking forward to hearing from both of you.

The really good news is, I got my sound volume control back. What a relief that is. And the pesky problem with 2 users named JERRY mysteriously disappeared - only one JERRY now.

Regards,

Jher

Edited by Jerry23, 01 December 2009 - 06:52 PM.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Jerry,

Sorry I've been away; I took a bit of a break and probably will not be quite as active in the near future.

If you've already answered this question, could you refresh my memory?

What happens if you try to install IE8 now with the standalone installer available from Microsoft's IE webpage?

~os

Jerry23

Jerry23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi OS,

Good to here from you.

I am not sure I ever tried that - without going thru the full update from Win XP2 to Win XP3 at the same time. That is when I got the very erratic behavior & had to do a system restore. My memory is a little fuzzy as to whether the Win XP3 update actually updated me from IE6 to IE8. At the time I had my auto updates enabled and I am not really sure what was getting updated - I just accepted whatever Win auto threw at me. You may have a better idea of that.

I might add, there are 56 updates awaiting me in my Win auto update Icon in my system tray. I have been avoiding it until I get some help on this.

Regards,

Jerry

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Jerry,

Let's start with this to see if it gets us anywhere.

1) Please download Internet Explorer 8 standalone installer from Microsoft.
2) Run the installer and let's see if it completes successfully.

~os

Jerry23

Jerry23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi OS,

Did the IE8 install. So far everything seems OK. I did not do much surfing to check things out. I got back my Print Prieview option, after rt click on a page. :) .

In my previous post, I said I was not sure if I updated to IE8 when I updated to Win xp3. I went back & rechecked my notes - I installed all but IE8 -- I said ask me later to that option. My Win auto update icon now says 51 updates are ready.

I will do some more things to see if problems crop up. Thanks a lot for your help. What's next?

Regards,

Jerry

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Jerry,

Good to hear IE8 installed successfully. That ought to solve part of your problems.

The next thing we should definitely do before going any further is test your hard drive with the manufacturer's tools. Please open Device Manager (if you don't know how, you can ask) and check the model number of your hard drive. You can Google this model number to find the manufacturer of the drive. From there, we will need to download a copy of the diagnostic tools from their site to burn to a CD and check the drive for errors.

The reason I am suggesting this next is that there is a (small) risk a failing drive may be at fault here. One reason for Windows Setup not to find an existing installation is in the event of certain corrupted system files. The system file checker utility which you ran earlier can sometimes correct this, but not always, depending on the problem. Also, the symptoms you described earlier following your attempted install of SP3 reflect those of an ailing hard drive.

Even though the risk is small, to eliminate any serious problems with data loss it's a good idea to try this next. If the drive happens to be going bad, we should then stop everything we're doing and copy your data, then begin moving things to a new hard drive and Windows installation.

This probably will not be necessary, but again, this is always the next thing I check in situations like this.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 08 December 2009 - 08:16 PM.

Jerry23

Jerry23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey OS,

It is sooooooooooooo great to get IE8 back!!!!!!!! That Tab Browsing feature is a must for people like me, who have a lot of balls in the air at one time.

So far the news is all good re IE: :) :) :)

-- a site where I got my computer to freeze[ & need hard turn off] 3 times yesterday, trying to print a web page - works fine today.

-- Earlier today I could not access much of Fidelity.com. Now I can access all.

-- Got my rt click, Print Preview function back for web pages.

-- So far no red X's where pictures should be on web pages.

-- So far no page cannot be displayed Mssg's.

I went to the Device Manager & got this [I think it is the hard drive]:

wdc wd1600bb-22fta0

I guess that is Western Digital? It did not give a Mfg when I double clicked on it. It just said standard disc drive. I will pursue this further tomorrow.

Thanks again OS.

Jerry

wdc wd1600bb-22fta0

Edited by Jerry23, 08 December 2009 - 09:55 PM.

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Western Digital indeed.

Thus, you will need the WD Data Lifeguard Tools. You can try the Windows version, but if it gives you problems, I'd go with the DOS version, which must be burned to a CD first and then booted to.

You want an "EXTENDED TEST", which will check the drive for any bad sectors. If we encounter significant problems, we'll have to address the issue. If not, we're clear to continue troubleshooting. :)

As for IE, yes, it's very good that we got 8 to install successfully, as much of Windows requires a working IE to run smoothly. Honestly, however, I would have to recommend you check out Firefox anyway, as it's much more secure and much quicker, too. Try it with the Adblock Plus and WOT extensions for a wonderful browsing experience. :)

~os

Jerry23

Jerry23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi again OS,

Thanks for the link & the instructions.

Good news I believe.

http://screencast.com/t/NzZiZTY4M

The green check mark & PASS were in the Smart Status column of the bigger window before the test was run. I don't quite understand that. But I like the green check mark in the Extended test box!!!!!!!! :)

Edit: Here we go: http://screencast.com/t/OGJmNjdmN

http://screencast.com/t/NDZhYmMzNDQt -- Couldn't quite get all the results in 1 pic.

Regards,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry23, 09 December 2009 - 12:11 AM.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Jerry,

Yes, that is good. It means the drive's internal SMART sensor at least reports that it is healthy. It isn't 100% accurate, but it's usually reliable.

Anyway, when all of that's done, we can consider moving on!

~os

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We need to get a stable system before updates to IE8 and SP3.
If the system is having issues, and or malware, the update will be a disaster. (as you have seen). Because of the malware.

Work the system where it is at now. Do not do any other updates till all the kinks are worked out. Doing the other 56+ updates will probably give us some issues.

Internet explorer is so wound in with windows that any corruption in windows or IE will create problems.

Where do we stand right now? In other words an update.

Jerry23

Jerry23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi OS,

I have been giving my IE quite a workout today. So far, most everything seems normal. There is only one thing that doesn't seem right at this time - the forward/back buttons don't always reflect my history for that tab correctly. Sometimes when I click on a link or 2 on a page, & then try to go back to the 1st page on that tab, the 1st link is no longer there. This is for the case where the link does NOT open a new browser window. This happens mostly on the Yahoo Mssg boards, but it happened once at one other location today. I don't know if that could be a problem with the Yahoo Mssg boards, or if it is all my computer. That was happening for about a month before I got into this trouble.

>>>>>Anyway, when all of that's done, we can consider moving on!<<<<<<

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I am assuming you are referring to

>>>>>> Honestly, however, I would have to recommend you check out Firefox anyway, as it's much more secure and much quicker, too. Try it with the Adblock Plus and WOT extensions for a wonderful browsing experience. <<<<<<

I have not done any of that yet. If you don't mind, I would rather not try Firefox right now. I tried it a few years ago, when I still had dial up and was not very happy with it. It seemed much slower than IE on some web sites. Some sites did not display properly. My online broker site display was very bad & I could not use it to place my trades. I went back to IE. I would rather wait until we get thru all of this & try it at my leisure if you don't think that would cause any problems with our troubleshooting & updates.

Even though IE seems to be stable so far, I think we should wait for 2-3 days of heavy usage to make sure.

What do you think OS??

Regards,

Jerry