Hi 123runner, Othersteve,
Well, I am back. I don't know how much you have been following my thread on the other board, But Emerald has pretty much given me a clean bill of health, from an infection standpoint.
Some of my problems have gone away. I still have problems with my IE shutting down. My IE got very slow for a while, but it seems to be running pretty 'normal' today.
My objective is to get rid of that problem & update to XP sp3+ & IE 8. But don't forget, the last time I tried that, my computer was a disaster. I do NOT want to get into that situation again.
See below for a description of the problems.
That is my objective - to get my computer in a condition that I can successfully update to sp3 & IE 8.
I tried that on 11/11/09, after a Win repair procedure. When I updated to sp3 + [but before I updated to IE 8] it caused all kinds of major problems. IE was VERY unstable, windows flop around, hard to close windows. Almost looked like a virus. Tried to run Malwarebytes - got an Err Msg:vb Accellerator sgrid 11 control X- Runtime Error '0'. Hit OK - Malwarebytes runtime error '440'/automation error. Tried to uninstall Malwarebytes - many runtime errors. Tried to open IE window - IE has encountered a problem - needs to close. Start > Windows Update - Err - IE has encountered a problem - needs to close.
Had to do a system restore - to the point where I first did the system repair. Got the same application error on the first boot, that I got when I did the system repair. OFVISEX caused an access violation in ntdll.dll st 0x7c9116e. Clk close to terminate the application.
Here is some more info.http://www.geekstogo...ws-t258890.html
I don't want to take a chance on repeating the same problem scenario as I got into the first time I updated to sp3.
Here is another quote that describes a problem I am having.>>
Well after a pretty successful day, it is ending on a sour note. I was in the process of shutting down for the day, when I got the Err Msg: IE has encountered a problem with an add-on & needs to close. File: Flash10c.exe, Adobe Flash Player. This seems to happen every 2-3 days. I had to do a hard turn-off after this. That does not happen very often.
This occurred in a pattern I mentioned before. It happened after a long day of heavy usage, followed by a period of sitting idle [~ 2 hrs], and after running a full scan. It has not been unusual for my computer to get unstable at the end of the day, following the pattern outlined above. This has been happening for many months now.
Can you think of any reasons for this. Is it common for a computer to get unstable after such conditions? Is there anything I can do to correct this?
By the way, after I got the above ERR, I used Add/Remove to remove Adobe Flash 10 & then reinstalled it. Hope that helps.
Here is what happened when I tried the Msft repair procedure for IE6. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
Thanks for the input. IE seemed to be running more like normal this morning. But then it gave me the "needs to close' Err - not tied to the Adobe add on.
I tried the Msft repair procedure you gave me. I ran the sfc file check first - no feedback. Then I ran the install IE file procedure. It keeps stopping & giving me Err Msg - Set Up cannot find file 'XXXX'. Asks me for the location. I search for the loc & manually type it in. Then it runs for a short while & asks me for another file loc. I did that a few times & stopped - don't know how many file locs it will ask for. Very time comsuming.
Here is another problem I am having with IE
When I rt click on a web pg, I should get print preview as an option - and the option to resize the page by x%. I still am not getting this - and this is important to me in a few things I do on a regular basis.
Remember this from my first post here? I have no way of knowing if this problem is still there. I am afraid to go there & check it out. I may screw up again.
Today I tried to run another Windows repair procedure, using the procedure you have posted on this site. When I got to the screen that shows your existing Windows XP installations, the C:\windows installation was not shown. I showed my M:\ Windows installation. This was the backup I copied when I first bought my computer. It is only to the sp1 level. My Win XP cd is to the sp 2 level.
Well, hopefully this is enough to get us started. Looking forward to hearing from both of you.
The really good news is, I got my sound volume control back. What a relief that is. And the pesky problem with 2 users named JERRY mysteriously disappeared - only one JERRY now.
Edited by Jerry23, 01 December 2009 - 06:52 PM.