Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hey folks...I have a Seagate hard drive installed on my computer and am looking to reformat it. I've read a number of posts at various websites on how this should be done. Many of them have to do with reinstalling the OS as well and indicate that doing so will also give you the option to reformat the HD.
I was at the website for Seagate and came across these instructions on their Solution Center...

Formatting your drive for Windows XP

STEP 1: Open Disk Management like this:

Right-click on the My Computer icon.

Click Manage.

In the pane on the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.

STEP 2: Right-click on the drive you want to format. Be sure it’s the correct drive.

STEP 3: If you want, you can type a name for the drive in the Volume Label box. This is an optional step.

STEP 4: Click the file system that you want to use in the File System box. You can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.

Note: Before changing the default allocation unit size please refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 314878.

STEP 5: Click OK. When you’re prompted to format the drive, click OK again.

Pretty simple it seems.

So, my question is this...do these instructions provide the kind of comprehensive, all encompassing, reformat that so many people seem to be looking for prior to an OS installation, or is their a better way, or more thorough way to do it?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can't format a drive with the OS on it from within the OS. Try the following site for step by step instructions on the complete way to do it.
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and if you're extremely paranoid and REALLY want to make sure everything is gone on the drive

To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD
  • Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

then install windows

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Wow, DBAN sounds like it ought to do the trick...and how. Thanks for the posts guys. I appreciate the feedback and options.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Heya,

Well, I am finally getting around to finishing this reformat. I know, I know, I posted this thread two months ago. Laziness and the holidays.

The reason for my reply here is that your directions for d/l DBAN to a floppy disk did not work for me. I selected the link you provided for DBAN/floppy disk, but as it turns out, DBAN is too large a file for a floppy disk. I d/l DBAN to my desk top and tried to click and drag it over to my A: drive and that's when it told me the file was too large. I don't have the means to burn it onto a CD.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

and if you're extremely paranoid and REALLY want to make sure everything is gone on the drive

To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD

• Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)

Autonuke

Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)

Autonuke

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

then install windows

Edited by konakula29er, 08 January 2010 - 03:39 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have used that file many times and there is no problem.
Did you follow the instructions? because I just created a bootable floppy with DBAN on it.

Bootable Floppy/USB

1. Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
2. Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
3. Press Install
4. Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
5. Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

6. Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

You need to run the executable file that is downloaded.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Did you follow the instructions? because I just created a bootable floppy with DBAN on it.

Bootable Floppy/USB

2. Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
3. Press Install
4. Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.

Autonuke

6. Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

Yup, yup...read through the instructions too fast on a rush, rush day and got it all wrong. Took my time this go around and it all worked great.

Thank you for the reply and help.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Bootable Floppy/USB

3. Press Install

Autonuke

Heya...I am back with another glitch to DBAN. I did run a couple weeks ago on one computer I was cleaning up and it worked fine. I am trying to clean up another computer today and tried running DBAN on it without success.
I already have the DBAN program on a floppy disc, so I went into BIOS and set the boot order to floppy drive first. I then inserted the DBAN floppy into the drive and rebooted.
DBAN seems to start up, but it finishes the process awfully quick compared to the last time I used it. Last time it took at least 30 mins. to complete and my hard drive was wiped out. This time, it only take 2-3 mins. and it doesn't wipe out the hard drive. When finishes this is what it says...

DBAN finished with non-fatal errors
This is usually caused by disks with bad sectors.
Send the log file with all support requests.

Hardware clock operation start date: Mon Feb 01 11:55:13 2010
Hardware clock operation finish date: Mon Feb 01 11:55:18 2010
Saving log file to floppy disk... saved /floppy/dbanlog/dban0002.tgz
DBAN finished. Press enter to save the log file.

So that's what I get. When I remove the DBAN floppy from the drive and reboot, the old Windows XP pops up once again.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

DBAN finished with non-fatal errors
This is usually caused by disks with bad sectors.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hey thanks for the help. Your idea worked like a charm and all things are going smoothly now.

Greg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know and if you have any questions please let us know. Congrats for resolving your issue.

VINIT ADSUL

VINIT ADSUL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

We are using DBAN but not able to save logs after DBAN.Please confirm whether any option to save logs or report after completion of DBAN process???